172 Matching questions
are inspecting a residential property. You have to observe and/or test
all of the readily accessible components of each system. Determine which
of the following is not considered to be a readily accessible component
of a room.
a. A small window
b. The doorknob on the closet door
c. Nails or screws in the floor
d. None of the above
- You are inspecting a home built in 1996. In the garage you observe the walls are covered with 1/4 inch hardboard panels. You advise the client that:
is inspecting an EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finishing System) wall
system for deficiencies. Where would these be most likely to occur?
a. Window heads
b. The center of large expanses of EIFS
c. Along the bottom edge of the EIFS installation
d. At the corners of the installation, such as around windows
- Polybutylene (PB) water supply tubing is seen in the house. You should report that it:
- If you observe a component, you make a visual examination.
- A bathroom fan shall terminate a minimum of _____ feet from openings or the property line.
- If your inspection mirror fogs when placed near a gas water heater draft hood the:
- Which of the following would not be a structural component of a building?
a. An exterior wall
b. The floor of the second or higher story
c. An interior wall that is not connected to a loft or the second story floor joists
d. The floor of the main or only story
- Every basement and sleeping room is required to have an easily operable emergency escape window. How large must this window be?
a. At least 5.7 sq. ft
b. At least 4.7 sq. ft
c. At least 6.7 sq. ft
d. At least 3.7 sq. ft
- The purpose of a thermocouple is to
- Which of the following describes partial vapor pressure?
- Which of the following is a safety mandate in a remodeled home where a hydromassage bathtub has been added? A. The faucets must be at the drain end. B. The tub area must have a venting fan. C. There must be a vacuum breaker. D. There must be a ground fault circuit interrupter.
- Generally, which type of item is NOT included in a home inspection?
- You observe long horizontal cracks in a CMU basement wall or foundation stem wall. The cause is MOST likely due to
is the minimum allowed slope of graded soil next to a building's
foundation, according to the International Residential Code (IRC)?
a. ≥ 5"/10'
b. ≥ 5"/12'
c. ≥ 6"/12'
d. ≥ 6"/10'
- Which of the following roofing materials is the heaviest?
- Sewage ejector pumps are necessary when a toilet:
- The safe domestic water temperature in a home should NOT exceed how many degrees Fahrenheit?
- A butterfly roof has a ______________.
A. traditional look
- While inspecting a home, you observe a large ceiling fan with built-in lamps. This installation requires a(an):
- Standard three light electrical testers are NOT always reliable because: A. Some receptacles only have two prongs B. Three light testers sometimes have broken bulbs C. Three light testers will not detect multiple wiring problems D. Different test device manufactures have different light patterns
- How far above grade should a concrete slab extend?
a. At least 4"
b. At least 6"
c. At least 8"
d. There is no minimum requirement
- Which of the following is not a normal operating control?
a. A wall switch
b. The fuse box
c. A safety switch
d. A thermostat
- A bathroom light switch that is reachable from the tub or shower should be ____________.
A. covered by an insulated face plate
C. a GFCI receptacle
- All of the following statements make an assumption that can normally be determined by routine home inspection procedures EXCEPT the:
observe on a home inspection a whitish, cottony growth on the surface
of baseboards. Which of the following types of fungi are most likely the
A. White-rot fungi
B. Water-conducting fungi
C. Brown-rot fungi
D. Sapstain fungi
- How large should the footing or foundation for a masonry fireplace be?
a. It should be more than six inches thick and extend six inches beyond the fireplace on all sides.
b. It should be more than 12 inches thick and extend six inches beyond the fireplace on all sides.
c. It should be more than six inches thick and extend 12 inches beyond the fireplace on all sides.
d. It should be more than 12 inches thick and extend 12 inches beyond the fireplace on all sides.
- The framing method that uses studs continuously from the sill to the roof is called:
- Identify the definition of the term: Collar beam.
Home Inspector Test Study Guide with Practice Questions
A. Nominal 1- or 2-inch-thick members connecting opposite roof rafters. They serve to stiffen the roof structure.
B. Concrete either without reinforcement, or reinforced only for shrinkage or temperature changes.
C. A horizontal projection from a wall, forming a ledge or supporting the structure above it, usually built with masonry.
D. Nominal 2-inch-thick members, usually 2 by 4's, cut in between each stud diagonally.
- While inspecting a crawl space, you should probe for decay if the _________ is dark in appearance. A. King joist B. Floor joist C. Masonry wall D. Bearing wall
- Which of the following is not part of a pool inspection?
A. Proximity to electrical wires, location of electrical outlets and placement to the home.
B. Pool and deck surface condition (cracks, discoloration, and pitting) and the coping surrounding the pool (open joints, cracking).
C. Inspection of pool lights, the presence of GFCI devices.
D. Risk of small children falling in the pool.
- Direct connections between potable water piping and sewer-connected wastes shall:
- During an inspection of a gas dryer, you observe no exhaust vent. Your report should:
- What is the minimum and maximum pressure for a water supply system in a residential building?
a. 30 and 60 psi
b. 50 and 100 psi
c. 60 and 120 psi
d. 40 and 80 psi
- Which of the following is not a solid fuel heating device?
a. A fireplace
b. A woodstove
c. A coal furnace
d. An electric heater
- Subflooring may be omitted when a 1-inch nominal tongue-and groove wood strip is applied perpendicular to the joists and the joist spacing does NOT exceed
- Which of the following would be most likely to have the highest R-value?
a. 6" fiberglass batt insulation
b. 12" cast-in-place concrete wall
c. 2" extruded polystyrene panel
d. Triple insulated glazing system with ½" air spaces
- A flame or sparking device within gas appliances MUST be elevated off the garage floor AT LEAST
- The modern MINIMUM size water service pipe to a residence is
- The normal MINIMUM run for a residential stair tread is: A. 7 in. B. 8 in. C. 9 in. D. 11 in.
- A 3-phase electrical system has ___ poles.
- Looking into an open electric service panel you see a wire with evidence of burning. What should you do?
- A common place for steel enamel sinks to "rust out" and leak is the:
- On a previous work day, you left a crawl space access cover off of the access to the pantry. A party fell the next day and was injured. Which of the following insurance types will be used to pay damages?
- You inspect a "representative number" of electrical outlets in a building. What does this mean?
a. You inspect a percentage of all the electrical outlets in the structure.
b. You inspect electrical outlets in the structure at random.
c. You select one electrical outlet to test in each room of the structure.
d. None of the above
- In a 1987 conventional wood-frame house, which one of the following signs (by itself) is a significant problem?
- A 8-AWG copper wire corresponds to _____-amp fuse size.
- Which of the following is not true concerning lead paint?
A. According to the EPA, it is estimated that lead-based paint was applied to approximately two-thirds of the homes built in the United States before 1940, one-third of the homes from 1940 to 1960.
B. Lead can enter the air within a home when surfaces covered with lead-based paint are scraped, sanded or heated with an open flame in paint stripping procedures.
C. It is best to leave lead-based paint undisturbed if it is in good condition and there is little possibility that it will be ingested by children.
D. Lead particles freed in fine dust or vapors do not settle into carpet fibers.
- Flexible gas connectors for gas dryers may NOT be:
- A chimney should be ____________________.
A. maximum of 5 feet high
B. any height
C. minimum of 2 feet high and 6 feet higher than any obstruction within 10 feet of the chimney
D. minimum of 3 feet above the roof line and 2 feet higher than any other obstruction within 10 feet
- The purpose of anchor bolts in a sill plate is to:
- The term "wet vent" refers to a:
- When inspecting a home, you note horizontal cracks. Which of the following would NOT be a cause of overload from the outside?
- While inspecting a home, you observe a large ceiling fan with built-in lamps. This installation requires a(an): A. Strong ceiling. B. Pancake junction box. C. Approved brace or box. D. Larger junction box.
- Which of the following conditions would be LEAST critical to your client's safety? A. A pin hole in the heat exchanger B. No handrails on an interior stairway C. Lack of a pressure and temperature relief valve on the water heater D. A non-reversing garage door opener
- It is discovered that a 3" deep notch is cut at the end of a 2X10 floor joist. The home inspector's report should include:
- The MOST common cause of chimney flue liner deterioration is:
- The purpose of collar ties is to
- hat type of vent pipe material is allowed to run through a ceiling, roof, or wall for a natural gas appliance?
- A common term for the supply pipes going from the basement ceiling to the upstairs bathroom is:
- Fireplace distance to wood,
- You are approached by a real estate agent/broker to advertise in their office brochure for a fee. In turn, they will promote your firm as a preferred vendor and recommend you. You should:
- wo roof trusses passing above an interior hallway have been cut to install a pull-down attic ladder. There is no cracking or indication of distress in the walls or ceilings. Which of the following is the MOST appropriate action?
- A chimney that has a height more than 2 feet above any roof within 10 feet is considered ______________.
A. improper installation
B. only proper if the roof is flat
C. a proper installation
D. too close to the highest roof
- The proper slope on a drain line is:
International Residential Code (IRC) requires rafters to be fastened to
ridge boards or gusset plates if the pitch of the roof is greater than
or equal to a certain angle. What is the angle?
- You see during your inspection that the air conditioning system has supply registers in each bedroom, but only one large return register is located in the center hallway. Your FIRST course of action would be to: A. Recommend to your client that return ducts be installed in each bedroom. B. Check to see if the bedroom doors are undercut at the bottom. C. Report that the life of the A/C equipment will be reduced. D. Report that the A/C system will not work well.
- The water heater pressure relief valve discharge pipe MUST be:
- The MINIMUM width of stairways (not considering railings) is:
- When inspecting a home, the seller of the property has made the statement that all the appliances are in working order. As an inspector, you should:
- Ivy has grown across the entire exterior brick wall surfaces of a one-family house. The home inspector should report that the ivy:
- Joist bearing on a concrete foundation must be a minimum of :
boiler system's pressure-relief valve that discharges just after you
turn up the thermostat may do so because of a _______________.
A. clogged Hartford loop
C. water-logged expansion tank
D. faulty aquastat
- To measure carbon monoxide, you should use a(n):
- "Double-tapping" is ____________.
A. the term for connecting two wires in a wire nut before connecting them to a breaker or fuse
B. an approved method for extending a service panel's capacity
C. the term for attaching two wires to a single fuse or breaker terminal
D. the certified approach for installing a sub-panel
E. not acceptable unless the same number of taps occur on one bus as the other
- Where is a curtain drain located
- sewage ejection pump in a vacant single-family home continues to operate intermittently for a few minutes after all the fixtures have been operated. This is MOST probably due to
- EIFS is a siding material that: A. Is used in commercial buildings only. B. Looks like stucco but lacks a wire mesh. C. Can be installed on top of a modified bitumen membrane. D. Can be installed on top of a masonry surface.
- What appliance may vent into a chimney along with an oil-fired furnace if allowed by local code?
- Historically, spaced sheathing has been used for roof decking because it
- What is the minimum slope requirement of a roof with asphalt shingles?
- Under which of the following circumstances would it be acceptable to cut a truss?
- A 2,000-watt, 240-volt electric heater would draw ________ amps of current.
- It is recommended that stucco sidewall finishes on houses with more than one story should be __________________ framed.
- Which of the following is a component of a roof drainage system?
c. Splash blocks
d. All of the above
- The purpose of a sanitary trap is to:
- A "system" does not carry out one or more function in a structure and is composed of at least two interacting or interdependent components.
- Which of the following should NEVER be installed in a concrete slab-on-grade floor?
- Which deficiency should be considered an immediate potential safety hazard?
- Which statement BEST describes the action a home inspector should take when a safety issue is found in a home?
- What type of foundation has a large amount of reinforced steel and is known as a floating foundation?
- Home inspectors report receptacles with reversed polarity as potentially hazardous because:
- What is the proper slope for a horizontal drain pipe?
a. Anywhere from 1/8:1 to 1/2:1
d. None of the above
- Which of the following is the correct termination where the sloped roof terminates with an EIFS wall?
- Smelling sewer gas near a bathroom sink indicates that the drain trap is:
- In order for soffit vents to operate properly, there MUST be:
- Bulging plaster is observed high up on several bedroom walls. The primary concern is the bulging plaster is a(n): A. installation defect B. indication the home was very cold for a period of time C. indication the air handler leaked D. potential safety issue
- While inspecting a one-year-old house, slab on grade, you observe hairline cracks in the concrete floor with no vertical displacement. This indicates: A. Insufficient reinforcement. B. Unstable subsoil. C. Over hydrated concrete. D. Normal plastic shrinkage.
- During your inspection you see small white insects. What do you say to your clients?
- A chimney top should be at least _____ above the roof and _____ higher than anything within _____ feet.
A. 10..... 3..... 2
B. 2..... 10..... 3
C. 3..... 2..... 10
D. 3..... 10..... 2
- Please refer to the figure to answer this question.
The brick crack pattern "A" in the figure follows mortar joints and is often the result of:
- A chimney should be ______________.
A. a minimum of 2 feet high and 3 feet higher than any obstruction within 10 feet of the chimney
B. a minimum of 3 feet above the roofline and 2 feet higher than any other obstruction within 10 feet
C. a maximum of 5 feet high
D. as tall as possible, regardless of placement
- How much glazing area should every habitable room in a residential dwelling contain?
a. ≥8% of floor area
b. ≥6% of floor area
c. ≥10% of floor area
d. ≥7% of floor area
- A drain waste vent installed on an individual fixture where there is no access to a conventional venting system is known as a(n):
- A "Channel and drop" is a type of __________.
A, technique for measuring a homesite
B. wood siding
C. method for digging
D. irrigation ditches and laying in pipe
E. technique for installing windows
- To avoid scalding injuries, heating elements should be set to:
- Damage from ice dams could indicate:
of the following terms matches the definition: One who has contracted
to be responsible for another, especially one who assumes
responsibilities or debts in the event of default?
- When a water heater thermostat is set at 140 ° F or higher, a ______ should be installed to temper the water.
- A bathroom door sticks and there is a drywall crack above the door. What should you report?
A. The bathroom door is causing foundation problems.
B. Foundation problems are causing doors to stick and walls to crack.
C. A structural engineer should be consulted.
D. The bathroom door sticks, which may have caused the drywall crack above it.
- How far above a showerhead should the waterproof material in a bathroom extend?
a. ≥ 2"
b. ≥ 3"
c. ≥ 4"
d. ≥ 5"
- A 14-2 Romex wire should be used with _____-amp breakers.
- Which of the following would need further investigation when checking the stucco on a home?
A. Old and weathered cracks
B. New, sharp cracks
C. No areas of water infiltration
D. No evidence of crubling sections
- When evaluating the operation of an AC system during the summer months, the temperature differential between the supply and renew air should typically be:
- Ledger boards should be securely attached directly to the house by
- The following plumbing fixture valves should all be operated EXCEPT:
- You observe approximately 12 inches of loose fill fiberglass insulation in an attic space. You advise the client that the "R" value is approximately:
- Soil surface adjacent to the foundation should be:
- All vertical joints of panel sheathing shall occur over:
of the following terms matches the definition: A wall is usually
considered unsafe if it leans to such an extent that a plumb line
passing through its center of gravity does not fall inside the middle
one-third of its base?
A. V-1 rule
B. V-2 rule
C. V-3 rule
D. V-4 rule
inspector notes that the heat pump is not functioning and that the
condensate pan under the air handler is full of water. Why might these
two things be related?
a. The full condensate pan tripped a condensate overflow switch. The unit turned off in order to ensure that condensate did not spill.
b. The full condensate pan indicates that the fan in the air handler is not functioning, as it should.
c. The full condensate pan indicates that there is a leak in the heat exchanger, which has depressurized the unit, causing it to turn off.
d. The full condensate pan means that combustion byproducts have condensed and are flowing back into the house through the flue. This tripped the flue gas spill switch, turning the unit off.
- The functions of screened metal chimney caps include all of the following EXCEPT:
- Which single factor causes the most problems with concrete at the time of installation?
- The joints on the exterior of the brick chimney should be:
- A main beam that supports floor joists is often called a:
- Damage from ice dams could indicate: A. Over-exposure of shingles or slates. B. Rain gutters with too low an outer lip. C. Insufficient attic insulation. D. Attic vents left open during winter months.
International Residential Code requires cleanouts for drain pipes to be
established at intervals throughout the drain system. What is the
maximum allowable distance between cleanouts?
a. 50 feet horizontally
b. 75 feet horizontally
c. 100 feet horizontally
d. 125 feet horizontally
- If a well pump cycles on and off rapidly, it is an indication that
- While inspecting the furnace you detect very high levels of carbon monoxide at the supply air registers. You should:
- A bathroom's permanently installed ceiling heat lamp should be installed over ___________.
A. the toilet seat to keep the area warm
B. the shower rod so that it can dry damp towels
C. the pathway of the bathroom door
D. empty space so that it doesn't overheat anything
- It is important to maintain a positive grade away from the structure of at LEAST _______ inch drop per foot for six feet. A. 1/4 B. 1/2 C. 3/4 D. 1
- Fireplace flues must extend AT LEAST: A. Three feet above roof penetration and two feet above the highest point
within 10 feet.
B. Two feet above roof penetration and three feet above the highest point
within 10 feet.
C. Thirty inches above roof penetration and 24 inches above the highest
point with eight feet.
D. Three feet above roof penetration and three feet above the highest point
within eight feet.
- A 60-amp electrical service panel at a home that is 2,800 square feet would be considered ________________.
D. the only option for a home that size
inspector can often determine the approximate age of a home by its
method of construction. Which of the following choices shows the methods
of construction in order from first developed to most recently
a. Post and beam construction, balloon framing, platform framing, ICF construction
b. Balloon framing, post and beam construction, ICF construction, platform framing
c. ICF construction, balloon framing, post and beam construction, platform framing
d. Post and beam construction, platform framing, balloon framing, ICF construction
- How far from the foundation should the roof drainage system discharge water?
a. >2 ft or into a drain pipe
b. >3 ft or into a drain pipe
c. >4 ft or into a drain pipe
d. >5 ft or into a drain pipe
- Which of the following is not normally checked during aluminum siding inspection?
A. Check for loose, bent, cracked, or broken pieces.
B. Inspect all caulked joints.
C. Check for such grounding (code requirement).
D. Inspect the wood behind the siding by removing a piece.
- A Hartford loop is present on a(n) __________ system.
- While inspecting a one-year-old house, slab on grade, you observe hairline cracks in the concrete floor with no vertical displacement. This indicates:
- Mortar used in brickwork may vary in composition, but always contains:
and state regulations both require certain warnings to be conspicuous.
As a home inspector, you will often have to determine whether or not
hazardous components are adequately labeled. Which of the following
would a reasonable person consider to be conspicuous?
a. UNPLUG POWER BEFORE TOUCHING CIRCUIT (with graphic warning symbols)
b. UNPLUG POWER BEFORE TOUCHING CIRCUIT (without graphic warning symbols)
c. Unplug power BEFORE touching circuit
d. Both A and B
- A 12-AWG copper wire corresponds to ____-amp fuse size.
- The causes of roof decking buckling include
- When is an unvented conditioned attic permitted?
a. When there is a vapor retarder applied on the floor of the attic, but there is no insulation applied to the underside of the roof deck.
b. Where there is not a vapor retarder applied to the floor of the attic, but there is insulation applied to the underside of the roof deck.
c. This is always allowed.
d. This is never allowed.
- Water heaters are NOT allowed in
- In a forced air furnace, the burners are used to generate heat in the:
- Leaks in gas piping can be detected by:
- Branch circuits must be installed in several locations in every building. Which of the following is not one of them?
a. Central HVAC equipment
b. An office or bedroom
c. The laundry room
- An electrical wire that is hanging loose with a bare end is seen in the attic of a home. The homeowner says it is an abandoned circuit and is not being used. The quickest way to check the wire is to:
- Inspection of the outside brick work over a window shows a horizontal crack. The cause of the crack is:
- A chimney that is ______ inches or more wide should have saddle or cricket flashing.
- EIFS is a siding material that:
- What are the types of heat that must be taken into account when calculating the cooling loads for an HVAC system?
a. Sensible and radiant heat
b. Radiant and conductive heat
c. Conductive and latent heat
d. Sensible and latent heat
- Floor joist bridging:
- A 3-pole main disconnect might indicate ___________.
A. fused neutral conductor
B. allowance for future
D. single-phase power
E. that a sub-panel is present
- Water is dripping from the cold water pipes above a gas water heater. This might be caused by:
- A drainage tile can be recognized BEST as a: A. Curved clay-tile assembly installed along the headwall of a dormer in lieu
of stepped flashing.
B. Pipe set in gravel running continuously along the exterior of a building's
C. Ceramic-tile washboard installed at a laundry sink to divert water into the
D. Concrete splash-block set below the termination of a flat roof drain system
to divert water away from the building.
- Which of the following is the MOST secure way to attach exterior deck joists to a ledger (or band joist)?
- A sacrificial anode (also called an anti-corrosion rod) is found in:
sleeping room and habitable basement room should have at least one
operable window or exterior door for emergency egress or rescue.
B. Egress windows should have a minimum net clear opening of 5.7 square feet.
C. Emergency egress or rescue windows and doors should not have bars or grilles unless they are releasable from inside without a key, tool, or special knowledge.
D. Egress windows must have a clear height of at least 16 inches.
- A toilet in a residential bathroom
- A room is built over a garage, with floor joists parallel to the garage door opening. To allow room to install a double-wide automatic garage door opener, the center of the joists may
- While inspecting the attic, you observe that the 2 x 4 webbing has been removed from two (2) adjacent manufactured roof trusses to enable the installation of the attic-mounted HVAC air-handler unit, in a single-family dwelling. Your report should state that:
- You complete your inspection and deliver the report to the client. The seller calls and asks what you found on the inspection. What is your response?
- You see during your inspection that the air conditioning system has supply registers in each bedroom, but only one large return register is located in the center hallway. Your FIRST course of action would be to:
- _______ is a benefit or right for which the parties to a contract must bargain.
B. Act of God
C. lis pendens
D. Contractual Indemnification
- Please refer to the figure to answer this question.
- Bowing in a foundation wall is usually the result of
- Which of the following BEST describes the report statement shown below? "The roof is in good condition for its age." A. Conclusion B. Recommendation C. Description D. Disclaimer
- A 40- to 50-year old galvanized steel water supply system _______________.
A. should be flushed annually
B. will probably have reduced water volume and pressure
C. is the best system available
D. should have the water tested for lead
E. is not compatible with PVC drain lines
- Which of the following is an indication that a masonry wall is veneer and NOT structural?
builder has added an additional load to a wood truss in the form of a
water heater. Under what circumstances does the IRC allow this?
a. This is never allowed.
b. This is always allowed.
c. This is allowed only if the additional load has been verified as acceptable by a certified engineer.
d. None of the above
- What is the MAXIMUM distance between foundation anchor bolts for sill plates?
- a secure the roof framing to prevent spreading outward.
- b the pressure tank is probably water logged.
- c Moisture
- d Concaved.
- e unit may not be venting properly
- f 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch per foot.
- g Moved
- h 120°F.
- i Use kick-out flashing into the gutter.
- j channel
- k 20
- l 1
- m building settlement
- n CO detector
- o Type "B" UL approved
- p True
- q Approved brace or box.
- r a leaking check valve.
- s You are not allowed to discuss your findings with them.
- t Open windows, shut down systems, and advise immediate evaluation by an HVAC contractor.
- u Slowing the draft that accelerates at the top of the flue.
- v Conclusion
- w The fuse box
- x water heaters
- y Use a voltage "sniffer."
- z Use joist hangers nailed to both the joist and the ledger.
- aa Over hydrated concrete.
- ab This is allowed only if the additional load has been verified as acceptable by a certified engineer.
- ac Heat exchanger.
- ad V-3 rule
- ae White-rot fungi
- af tile or slate
- ag 3
- ah If you inspect appliances, tell your client that you will check them out.
- ai Looks like stucco but lacks a wire mesh
- aj Insufficient attic insulation.
- ak allows for drying of roof material.
- al Determine the degree of immediacy, and report to the appropriate parties.
- am Insufficient attic insulation
- an The term for attaching two wires to a single fuse or breaker terminal
- ao 30
- ap soapy water.
- aq empty space so that it doesn't overheat anything
- ar Report on the condition, and inform the homeowner that an electrician should review.
- as Prevent movement.
- at >5 ft or into a drain pipe
- au 36 inches.
- av General liability and homeowners' coverage
- aw R30.
- ax 15
- ay that a sub-panel is present
- az Refuse since it is a violation of ethical practice.
- ba studs
- bb a minimum of 3 feet above the roof line and 2 feet higher than any other obstruction within 10 feet
- bc ≥8% of floor area
- bd dried out
- be not be notched.
- bf girder
- bg Approved brace or box
- bh Three feet above roof penetration and two feet above the highest point within 10 feet.
- bi Post and beam construction, balloon framing, platform framing, ICF construction
- bj 3..... 2..... 10
- bk At least 8"
- bl Not exist under any condition.
- bm lateral forces.
- bn Sloped away to provide proper drainage.
- bo Floor joist
- bp closets of bedrooms or bathrooms.
- bq Balloon
- br Correct answer: Pipe set in gravel running continuously along the exterior of a building's foundation footings.
- bs Anywhere from 1/8:1 to 1/2:1
- bt Water vapor has a tendency to disperse itself equally in the available air.
- bu 40 and 80 psi
- bv 9 inches
- bw risers
- bx block sewer gas.
- by No bond courses are seen.
- bz New, sharp cracks
- ca Normal plastic shrinkage.
- cb shut gas off.
- cc The full condensate pan tripped a condensate overflow switch. The unit turned off in order to ensure that condensate did not spill.
- cd At the corners of the installation, such as around windows
- ce Surety
- cf will probably have reduced water volume and pressure
- cg False
- ch Where there is not a vapor retarder applied to the floor of the attic, but there is insulation applied to the underside of the roof deck.
- ci Exhaust spillage.
- cj At least 5.7 sq. ft
- ck You select one electrical outlet to test in each room of the structure.
- cl 18 inches.
- cm Balloon framing.
- cn ≥2:12
- co Looks like stucco but lacks a wire mesh.
- cp 125
- cq Consideration
- cr minimum of 2 inches
- cs Sensible and latent heat
- ct water-logged expansion tank
- cu As large as the relief valve outlet.
- cv Potential safety issue
- cw wood siding
- cx Three
- cy The trusses are no longer structurally sound, and the best method of correction should be determined by qualified engineer.
- cz 6 feet.
- da that the notch exceeds maximum allowable depth and needs proper repair
- db Both A and B
- dc Risk of small children falling in the pool.
- dd ≥ 3"
- de provides lateral support.
- df Nominal 1- or 2-inch-thick members connecting opposite roof rafters. They serve to stiffen the roof structure.
- dg Coupled together.
- dh is secured to the plumbing "closet flange" by two closet bolts.
- di All of the above
- dj An office or bedroom
- dk Gas piping.
- dl Suggest obtaining the services of a pest control operator.
- dm A pin hole in the heat exchanger
- dn Waste line that also functions as a vent.
- do The yard
- dp 3/4 inch.
- dq steam heating
- dr They increase the shock likelihood at connected equipment.
- ds There must be a ground fault circuit interrupter.
- dt 3 inches
- du An interior wall that is not connected to a loft or the second story floor joists
- dv There does not appear to be any fire barrier between the garage and living space as currently required.
- dw Three light testers will not detect multiple wiring problems
- dx too close to the openable window.
- dy Check to see if the bedroom doors are undercut at the bottom.
- dz undersized
- ea Lead particles freed in fine dust or vapors do not settle into carpet fibers
- eb 100 feet horizontally
- ec the rusting of steel lintels is causing the expansion
- ed May require expensive replacement.
- ee House is in sound structural condition.
- ef 6" fiberglass batt insulation
- eg Condensation.
- eh Too much water is added.
- ei Upon approval of a structural engineer
- ej Could cause damage to the surface and recommend removal.
- ek It should be more than 12 inches thick and extend six inches beyond the fireplace on all sides.
- el Check to see if the bedroom doors are undercut at the bottom
- em A 1/2 inch wide wall/floor separation
- en The inspector should recommend this situation be referred to a structural engineer.
- eo Gas water heater.
- ep A missing temperature and pressure relief valve on a hot water heater
- eq mechanical vent
- er Egress windows must have a clear height of at least 16 inches.
- es An electric heater
- et 8.33
- eu valley
- ev properly sized lag bolts every 16 inches.
- ew a proper installation
- ex improperly installed materials that do not allow for expansion.
- ey 40
- ez 15-20 ° F.
- fa Inspect the wood behind the siding by removing a piece.
- fb Mat foundation slab
- fc Shut-off valves.
- fd cement, lime, and sand
- fe highly expansive clay soils.
- ff Nails or screws in the floor
- fg 16 inches.
- fh 3/12
- fi a minimum of 3 feet above the roofline and 2 feet higher than any other obstruction within 10 feet
- fj Is below the sewer line.
- fk Cosmetic
- fl Mixing valve
- fm The bathroom door sticks, which may have caused the drywall crack above it.
- fn ≥ 6"/10'
- fo Recommend installing a metal dryer duct vented to the exterior.
- fp A clear air channel between the roof boards and the insulation.