189 Matching questions
- 1 1/4
- 36 inches
- 22 x 30
- Inadequate insulation and ventilation
- 4 inches and 25 feet
- Neutral and ground
- 300 square feet
- 125% of nameplating rating
- Loose brick ties
- 20 x 24 - 5.7 square feet
- Gusset plate
- Air flow and leaking refrigerant
- 10 feet
- 1/2 nonferrous and 5/8 ferrous
- Food Waste Disposers
- Aluminum branch circuit
- 34-38 inches
- 48 inches
- You never add amps
- Delaminated plywood sheathing
- Fan/Limit switch
- Mud jacking
- 20 front and 12 side
- 28 to 30 psi
- Flat roof
- 60 cycles per second
- Carbon dioxide and water vapor
- 1 inch
- 6 inches
- Cross connection
- Sag and 1/2 inches
- 5.7 square feet
- Leaking seal
- 30 inches
- Armored cable
- Yellow tipped flames at a gas burner
- 2 to 3 psi
- Burner and circulating pump
- 6 and 10
- 4 inches
- Incomplete combustion
- Tempered glass
- 115-120 degrees
- 3 inches
- Complete and incomplete
- 3 feet
- Too flexible
- Properly sloped
- Class A
- moist air
- 12 and 12
- 13% and 19%
- Ridge board
- 6 feet
- 16 and 24
- 7 feet
- 7 feet 6 inches
- Subfloor and joists
- 2 and 4
- Carbon monoxide
- Composition board
- 5 feet
- Evaporator unit and condensing unit
- 2 and 9
- 6 inches and 10 feet
- #8 minimum and #6 maximum
- High water pressure
- Roll roofing
- Evaporator coil
- Reverse Polarity
- Blocked flue
- 3 ply
- 50 cfm - 5% - 1.5 square feet
- 22 x 24
- 50 feet
- Horizontal Cast Iron Piping
- Loose fill insulation
- Oily smoke smells or soot
- Aluminum tube
- 4 feet
- 12 feet
- 12 inches
- Crawl Space
- Away from the house
- 6 feet or 900 square feet
- 36 inches x 36 inches
- 1 1/4 inches
- Ceiling side
- 2 inches and 4 inches
- 1/16 inches
- Bright orange or yellowish white
- 18 feet
- Felt paper
- Heat Pump
- Neutral and grounding
- a What is the purpose of the accumulator in a heat pump?
A. Keep liquids out of the compressor
B. Reduce air flow in coil
C. Keep dirt out of the compressor
- b A single or double beam, joist, or rafter to which a header is nailed in framing for a chimney, stairway or other opening
I am a...?
- c The passage way to appliances in an attic must be at least ____ inches wide and floored.
How many bearing points do trusses have?
- e Upon a call for heat for the thermostat, which components of a newer hydronic boiler are activated simultaneously?
- f The
National Energy Act of January 1, 1994 requires all commodes
manufactured for residential use to have a capacity of no more than ____
gallons per flush.
- g In a _____ system, the purpose of the condenser is to remove the heat from the refrigerant passing through the copper tubing.
- h The drip edge is installed over the ____ _____ or over at the rake.
- i A Professional Real Estate Inspector must have how many hours of continuing education each year?
- j The 3 main controls on a furnace are:
A. The thermostat, the limit control, and the pump control
B. The thermostat, the primary control, and the thermocouple
C. The thermostat, the limit control and the fan control
- k Forcing, under pressure, a material that will raise a concrete product to provide a proper pitch is called ____________.
Describe a French drain or dry well:
A. A gravel pit that accepts waste from the plumbing system
B. A buried gravel pit designed to allow water to accumulate quickly and dissipate slowly by soaking into the soil
C. Can be used instead of a septic system
- m The defrost cycle is initiated by _________________ and __________________.
a. Homeowner and temperature
b. Time and temperature
c. Time and humidity
d. Temperature and humidity
- n Wall furnace vent is what type?
BW or W
- o The function of the barometric damper is to:
A. Prevent backdrafting
B. Cool flue
C. Provide combustion air
D. Provide draft regulation
- p Dishwashers
- q What color are the flames in an oil burner?
- r Vent pipes shall not be less than _____ inches.
- s Resistance is measure in ____.
- t What detail should be present in brick veneer walls
to ensure that accumulated moisture is adequately
a. Wall ties.
b. Head flashing.
c. Weep holes.
d. Drip cap.
- u A gas vent can enter the chimney a minimum of _____ inches from the bottom
- v _______ Feet is the maximum length cord for swimming pool equipment.
- w How many inches of hearth extension for a fireplace greater than 6 square feet?
- x Legal action can be taken up to _____ years after the incident; a complaint must be filed up to _____ years after the incident for payment out of the recovery fund.
- y The conductor wire should be _______ above grade and driveways.
- z A plumbing vent has to extend at least ___ above the roof and be at least ___ from a window.
- aa Water Heating Equipment
- ab How much water does clay absorb per hour?
- ac What is the minimum size of an emergency egress window?
- ad What is the maximum flexible cord length for a plug connected kitchen waste disposal?
- ae A flexible appliance connector can be cut.
True or False
- af The dip tube of a water heater brings the cold water to the Top or the Bottom of the tank?
- ag The _______ wire (white) and the _________ wire must be on separate grounding bars.
- ah Plumbing drainpipes must have a ______ inch(es) slope per running foot
- ai If a person's license is expired for more than one year, he or she may not renew the license.
- aj Water is heated to a boiling point of ___ degrees.
- ak The vapor barrier in the ceiling under the attic should be on the ___________ of the insulation
- al How many feet of tile must you have on shower walls?
- 4 feet
- 6 feet
- am Should home inspectors report inside locks and latches that do not work?
- an The BX cable is also called...
- ao What is the normal operating pressure of a steam boiler?
Defects most likely found in drywall can normally be associated with:
b. Too few nails
c. Improper framing or use of damp wood
d. Poor installation
e. all of the above
- aq At what pressure would the pressure relief valve open on a forced hot water boiler?
- ar Ranges, Cooktops, and Ovens
- as ___ ______ is the minimum and ___ ______ is the maximum water depth to seal P traps
- at The minimum breaker size for a clothes dryer is _____ amps.
- au Any receptacle within _____ feet on a wet bar must be GFCI protected.
- av Air bubbles coming from the pool return indicates a leak in the _____ side of the pump.
- aw If
an inspector has knowledge of a possible violation of the rules of
TREC, the inspector ______ report the possible violation to the Texas
Real estate Commission.
- Should not
- ax Service Entrance and Panels
- ay What is the proper strapping requirement for ductwork?
- 6 feet
- 4 feet
- az To prevent back-drafting at chimney, an open return should be within _______. If not, it will be reported as a safety hazard.
[Plumbing] What type of trap is approved under modern code?
- bb How far can the disconnect be for the outside A/C unit?
- bc If the neutral and hot wires are reversed at a receptacle, this condition referred is called:
- bd Nonmetallic, sheathed cabled (Romex) should not be pulled tightly across bends.
Yes or No
- be The water heater should be set between ________ to save energy and avoid burns.
- bf What A/C component functions to put refrigerant gas under a high pressure?
- Expansion Device
- bg A/C condensate drain line must be a minimum ______ inch.
- bh Carbon monoxide, pure Carbon, and aldehyde are all results of a ___________________.
- bi The minimum breaker size for a range is _____ amps.
- bj A 20 amp receptacle would require a number ____ aluminum wire.
- bk There is no _____ distance for rafters
- bl How far does the light globe in the closet have to be from the wall?
- bm Inspectors must maintain a ________ standard of professionalism.
- bn Horizontal cracks are _______
- bo Roof Structures & Attics
What copper pipe is the lightest?
- bq The minimum sized bond wire for a hydrotherapy tub is _____ AWG
- br ____ inches is the minimum and ____ inches is the maximum a shower pan depth can be?
If you see a brick veneer wall with a bow in it you can expect to see _________________.
- bt Doors
- bu Inspectors should always be thinking of the:
- Next inspections
- Third party
- bv The purpose for the ventilation process is to remove _____ ___ from the home.
- bw What size wire should go to the grounding rod maximum and minimum?
- bx How many feet of tile must you have on shower walls?
__ ____ or ______ _______ ______
- by What size must the landing at the front door be?
- bz A bathroom must have either an _____ cfm exhaust fan or a _______% operable window with a minimum of ______ square feet.
Answer: 50 cfm - 5% - 1.5 square feet
- ca What is the minimum size drain for a bathroom sink?
- cb The required air gap between the water discharge level and the float on an evaporator cooler is
- 1 inch
- 2 inches
- 3 inches
- 4 inches
- cc Any fixture that weighs over _____ pounds shall be supported independently from the outlet box
- cd Alternating Current means: Electrons move back and forth through power lines at a frequency of _________________.
- ce ___________________ is vulnerable because sewer gas can eat through the top of the pipe.
- cf Mechanical Exhaust Vents and Bathroom Heaters
- cg How many feet of clearance by the overhead service drop does the NEC require over driveways and pedestrian areas?
- ch ___________________________ is a sign of too much moisture in the attic.
What is the maximum the balusters can be on railings?
- cj What type of roof is often inadequately ventilated
- one over a cathedral
- vaulted ceiling
- ck _________________ has the lowest R-value.
- cl What is the maximum flexible cord length for a plug connected dishwasher?
- cm 1 square foot for every _____________ is the amount of free vent space for an attic.
In the AC cycle liquid turns to gas while coming out of the _______________
- co How many inches must a girder rest?
- cp Which of the following is not part of the roof framework?
- scissors truss
- collar ties
- ridge board
- cq What color should the flames be in a properly lit gas burner?
- cr Garage Door Operators
- cs 5B
- ct This type of siding becomes brittle in cold weather...
- cu An inspector has _____ business days to report TREC a change of address
- cv Dryer Exhaust Systems
- cw Blue water in a tub facet is caused by a malfunctioning _____ ballcock
- cx Heating Equipment
- cy According to the Standards, what kind of inspection is an electrical system inspection?
- cz What two wires should be separated in a sub-panel?
- da To rid hot water smelling like eggs, replace magnesium anode tube with an ______________
The ____________ of the thermostat can be lost if the batteries are low and the inspector turns off the heating unit safety switch.
- dc _____ carry floor and wall loads horizontally to foundation.
- dd _____ occurs when expansive clay soil dry & shrink at the foundation perimeter causing the foundation to settle.
- de A hallway must have a _________ if it is longer than 10 feet.
- df This roof has a single slope slanting in one direction.
- dg Fireplaces & Chimneys
- dh Lead paint are in homes that were built before what year?
What contributes to ice damming?
- too much snow
- improper pitch
- inadequate insulation and ventilation
- dj ______ is the most commonly used piping today as the main service pipe from public water supplies.
The _______ is a number that represents an insulation material's resistance to heat flow per inch of thickness. An ________ is the total heat resistance for a given thickness of insulation.
- dl What are the two main components of an air-cooled air conditioning system?
- dm The minimum breaker size for a water heater is _____ amps.
Answer: 125% of nameplating rating
- dn When the chimney is wider than _________, a cricket should be installed
- do Grade should have a _ inch fall within the first __ feet.
- dp Which is a deficiency?
- High water pressure
- Low water pressure
- dq How many feet should the conductor wire be above roads and parking areas?
- dr A gas vent can enter the chimney a minimum of how many inches from the bottom?
- ds Negative pressure and a ____________ may cause a fireplace to smoke.
- dt A built-up roof has a 9" overlap. How many ply exist?
- du How many inches (height in. x width in.) should the perimeter wall opening be.
- dv The _______________ shuts off the burners if the furnace overheats
- dw Pipes are not ________________ if there is a loud banging or knocking just after the steam boiler fires.
- dx 1E
- dy What is the minimum size of ferrous grounding rod must be?
- dz Inspectors should _________ with other inspectors.
- ea A swimming pool junction panel must be at least _____ inches above the water level of the pool.
- eb Weep holes should be how many inches in diameter?
- ec Incomplete combustion and possible carbon monoxide producing can be identified by...
- ed How far from the tub must a plug be?
- ee What condition would indicate an oil burner needs an adjustment?
- ef Step cracks in the mortar joints, if they are wider at the top of a brick wall, is an indication that _____ of the soil is occurring.
- eg The flooring system is __________ if you see cracked natural tiles such as slate or stone.
- eh What kind of window is required if a basement is being used as a bedroom?
Asphalt shingles can be installed on pitches as low as ____ if the roof is first covered with two layers of non-perforated saturated felt paper.
- ej Safety glazing includes _____________ which shatters into small, smooth edged rectangular cubes upon impact.
- ek Minimum dimensions of a window in a sleeping room are ______ or _______ to equal ______
Answer: 20 x 24 - 5.7 square feet
- el What are the two types of combustions?
- em 1H
- en Which roof is the steepest:
- eo Ceiling drywall can ___ if is less than __________ thick.
- ep Which is used as branch circuit wiring in most modern homes?
- Knob & Tube wiring
- eq Range Hood and Exhaust Systems
- er The service outlet in the attic shall be accessible on the same level and not more than ____ feet from the equipment.
- es What psi should you begin to get concerned about possible damage to the water supply fixtures?
- et _____inches X inches _____ is the minimum access opening of a gas meter
- eu What kind of circuit is needed for a new dryer outlet?
- ev Drains, Wastes, and Vents
- ew A ___________ can be accessed as long as there is 18in. x 24in. clearance
- ex How high must a ceiling be in a kitchen?
- ey A whole drilled through a joist for plumbing or electrical should be located at/in the:
- Any location
- ez Roof Covering Materials
What is the piece called that holds a truss together?
- fb This roof has two opposite slopes sloping inward toward the center of the roof
- fc When waste water can be siphoned into the water supply system, it is called __________________.
- fd Porches, Balconies, Decks, and Carports
- fe Which roof covering typically has the shortest lifetime?
- cement tile
- metal roofing
- roll roofing
- Single-ply membrane
- ff What size duct and what is the maximum length for a dryer vent?
- fg A plug-sealed extension at the sewer outlet which is unplugged when work needs to be performed on the sewer lines. What am I?
- fh How many milli-amps to trip a GFCI outlet?
- fi Wood has to be between ___ and ___ to be solidified.
If a suction line is frosting up it could be due to improper ________ and/or ___________________
What contributes to mold or moss growth on the exterior of a home?
- fl Squeaks in flooring are caused by a poor connection between the _________________.
- fm What are the results of complete combustion?
- fn Fiberglass shingles most common defect is:
- fo What type of siding has the least ability to hold paint over long periods of time?
- fp 60 amps with a 60 amperage rating is so because __________________.
- fq This roof style has a slope on all four sides, either meeting in a peak or a ridge line:
- fr What size is the access into an attic with equipment?
___ inches x ___ inches
- fs 1/4 inch plywood would not be a suitable material for a ________.
- ft _____ exerts the least stress on a foundation.
- fu Discoloration, moisture, or cloudiness between the lights of an insulated glass window are signs of a ______________.
- fv A proper pitch for a patio pitched ___________________.
- fw Yellow-tipped flames at a gas burner are signs of _______________.
- fx Branch Circuits, Connected Devices, and Fixtures
- fy What is the acceptable distance between the tread of a stairway and its handrail?
- fz You will most likely see ponding around drain because of inadequate or clogged drain system on what kind of roof?
- ga KD-19 wood is dried to a moisture content of what percent or less?
- gb How high must a ceiling be in bedrooms and living areas?
- gc How many wires are there from street to house on a 240 volt system?
- gd If you are found guilty of inspecting a property without a license, what class would your misdemeanor be?
- Class B
- Class F
- Class A
- ge The 10 foot drop for from wire to balcony should be ______ away
- gf The customer needs to contact an electrician if what kind of wiring is found?
- gg A built-up roof having a lap joint every 12 inches is a:
- 3 ply
- 6 ply
- 2 ply
- 4 ply