31 Multiple choice questions
- term for the combined effect of both mutual inductance and self-inductance
- the unit of capacitance
- term that describes a material that reduces the voltage associated with a given state of charge
- term for the maximum charge that a plate can hold
- term for the tendency of a loop or a coil to oppose any change in current
- term for the heat generated by current when it passes through a resistance
- term for the time rate of work
- Because they typically store only very small amounts of charge, capacitors usually have capacitances measured in _____ or _____.
for an arrangement in which the self-inductance in each coil is
enhanced by mutual inductance because all the magnetic flux in both
coils runs in the same direction
- Capacitance may be changed by:
1.) Increasing the ___ of each plate.
2.) Bringing the plates ____ _____.
3.) Filling the gap between the plates with _____.
- term for the induction of an emf in one coil by another coil
- term for the equation that relates the voltages and numbers of turns in the primary and secondary coils of a transformer
- term for the factor by which capacitance is multiplied when a certain material is used as a dielectric
well-designed transformer transmits energy from the primary circuit to
the secondary circuit with above _____ percent efficiency.
- Mutual inductance is measured in ____.
- term for a device for producing a fixed increase or decrease in voltage
- term for the effective value of an alternating current
- term for the current furnished by electric power companies
- If a change in magnetic flux arises from a fluctuation of current within the conducting loop itself, ______ ___ is produced.
- term for a transformer that increases voltage
- term for the maximum potential gradient that a material can withstand before it begins to conduct current
- term for a transformer that decreases voltage
effective value of an alternating current is regarded as equal to the
direct current that would produce heat at the same average ___ in the
- term for a charge-storing device consisting of two conductors in near relation but not touching
two coils in separate circuits are brought close together, changing
current in the first (____) coil induces a current in the second
- term for the number of turns per unit length of a coil
- the unit of inductance
- term for an arrangement in which self-inductance and mutual inductance have contrary effects
- An induced emf ____ the change inducing it.
- term for a circuit element with the property of self-inductance
- the physicist who experimented with electricity and magnetism and discovered electromagnetic induction independently of Faraday