53 Multiple choice questions
- term for an aqueous solution in which electrodes are submerged
- term for the conducting loop that rotates between the poles of a pemanent magnet in a simple electric generator
- term for a device that produces electrical current through a chemical reaction
- term for an appliance that uses a current's energy to do some type of work
- term for a device that produces current by electromagnetic induction
- term for a potential difference between junctions
- term for a negative electrode, which supplies electrons to the conducting wire
- term for the generation of current by means of a conductor's motion through a magnetic field
- The ___ of relative motion between a coil and a magnetic field determines how much current is prodced.
- term for a meter used to measure small amounts of current
- The voltage of parallel cells is the same as ___ ____ ___ ____.
for stationary pieces of metal that provide a path for the current to
flow to and from the appliance powered by an electric generator
- term for a split ring on which the ends of the loop terminate in a single-loop generator
- term for a freely rotating loop mounted in a magnetic field and fed with current that reverses periodically
- The magnitude of the Seebeck voltage depends on...
1. The extent to which the two materials differ in their _____ characteristics and
2. The ____ difference between the junctions.
- term for the source of mechanical energy that drives a generator
- term for a stationary armature in a DC generator
- term for a motor with a predominant north pole coupled with a single south pole
a single conducting loop or segment thereof is passing through a
magnetic field, current is generated in the loop if and only if...
- term for the positive electrode, which draws electrons from the conducting wire
- term for the heating or cooling of a junction between two dissimilar conductors in the pathway of current
for any device consisting of a thermocouple lodged within an apparatus
that provides for the heating of one junction and the cooling of the
- term for a combination of two or more electrochemical cells
- term for the delay before a material conforms to an external magnetic field
- When the flux passing through the second coil decreases, the second coil's induced current must create a(n) ____ magnetic field.
- term for the quanity of flux linking a conducting loop
- term for tiny currents that produce small magnetic fields working against the rotating armature in a motor
- term for a porous material soaked with a suspended aqueous solution
- According to Lenz's law, when the flux passing upward through the second coil increases, the induced current must create a(n) ____ magnetic field.
- term for a magnet that rotates inside the stator
- term for the perpendicular distance (r) from the axis of rotation to the line of the force
- Since each force is exerted at a distance from the axis of rotation, each produces a(n) ___.
- law that says that a change in magnetic flux specifically induces potential difference, which instantaneously produces a current
- Current varies directly with the ___ __ ___ in a coil.
rule that says if the thumb points in the direction of the charge's
motion, the index finger points in the direction of magnetic induction
and the bent middle finger points in the direction of magnetic force
for a complete circuit in which two conductors made of different
materials come together at junctions maintained at different
- term for current composed of three currents phased 120 degrees apart
- term for the appearance of the Seebeck voltage in an appropriate coupling of two conductors
- Current is induced within a coil by relative motion between the coil and a(n) _____ ___.
- In a ____ combination of cells, all the anodes are connected and all the cathodes are connected.
- term for an ionic solid dissolved in water
- The current induced by a magnetic field depends on the ____ of the field.
- term for two strips that are immersed in an aqueous solution
- term for current that changes direction
the cells in a battery are connected so that the anode of one cell is
connected to the cathode of the next and so on down the line, the cells
are connected in ___.
- True or False: The mere presence of a magnetic field is enough to induce current within a coil.
- The voltage of cells connected in series is the sum of ___ ____ ____.
- Induced current is directed so as to create a magnetic field that ____ the motion causing the current.
- The current delivered by cells connected in series is limited by the ______ _____ of the ____ cell.
- the scientist who is famous for discovering electromagnetic induction
law that states that the current induced by a change in magnetic flux
is directed so as to create a magnetic field that opposes the change
- term for current that always flows in the same direction
- term for the rings which rotate with the armature to allow constant contact betwee the armature and the brushes