27 Multiple choice questions
- term for the energy that passses from one body to another
- term for the kinetic energy of particles as they vibrate or rush about
- term for the amount of work equal to a unit of heat
to the second law of thermodynamics, in an isolated system, the
direction of spontaneous change is always toward greater ____.
- term for any body or collection of bodies that can exchange energy with the surroundings
- term for the point at which two objects have the same thermal energy and no heat is transferred between them
for a closed system where not only can no mass cross the boundary, but
also no energy can cross the boundary between the system and its
- A system always tends towards greater ____ and lower ____.
- I calorie = ____ Joules
- term for the total molecular energy content of a physical system
the the first law of thermodynamics, the change in internal _____ of a
system equals the ___ added the the system minus the ____ that the
system does on the surroundings.
- If no heat enters or leaves a system while its internal energy is changing, the process is _____.
- Energy leaving a system is _____ (positive, negative).
- the ideal gas law
- When the temperature of a gas is unchanged by compression, the compression is said to be ______.
- term for energy transfer caused by a force operating over a distance
- term for a process that cannot be reversed after equilibrium is established to restore each quantity to its original value
- term for a system that can exchange both mass and energy
- True or False: Work produces heat.
- True or False: A system is required to exchange energy.
- Apart from Q and W, a system for the first law of thermodynamics is assumed to be ____.
- term for a measure of disorder
- term for anything outside a system
- term for a process that can be reversed to regain the original quantities
- If no energy tranfer (either in the form of heat or work) is ocurring among them, a system of bodies is at _____.
- term for the study of the relationship between heat and work
- Energy entering a system is _____ (positive, negative).