43 Multiple choice questions
- an example of a dissipative force
- term for the capacity to do work
- the kinetic energy equation
- term for the equation describing the relationship between work and energy
- term for the product of an object's mass and velocity
- abbreviation for potential energy
- equation for Hooke's law
- The longer a constant force is applied to an object of constant mass, the greater the ____ ____.
work done in moving an object restrained by a conservative force
depends only on the initial and final _______ of the object; the work
does not depend on the ____ taken.
- When the net force acting on a system is zero, the momentum of the whole system _____ _____.
- Is momentum a vector quantity or a scalar quantity?
- term for energy of motion
- Kinetic energy is equal to the _____ work that one object can do on another while coming to a ____.
- For any object under the influence of a conservative force, _____ ____ is easily defined.
- two examples of a conservative force
- True or False: Energy is conserved even where a nonconservative force like friction is operating.
- True or False: There are a few known exceptions to the law of conservation of energy.
- law that says that energy can be transformed from one kind to another but cannot be created or destroyed
- term for a force that undergoes the same energy change regardless of its path
- term for a vector in the same direction as the applied force; found by multiplying force by time
- Kinetic energy is equal in magnitude to the _____ work required for one object to be _____ by another.
- True or False: Most collisions are inelastic.
- An object in the vicinity of the earth has ______ potential energy as a result of being under the influence of gravity.
- The kinetic energy equation assumes that the object is ____ and has undergone _____ acceleration from rest.
- Newton's first law states that any material object has ____.
- an example of a nonconservative force
- term for energy due to movement and position
- term for a force whose energy change varies according to the length of its path
- Newton's second law says that force is equal to the time rate of change in _____.
- law that can predict the exact outcome of a collision
- law that states that the total mechanical energy of a system is constant
- term for a force that causes an interacting system to lose energy in the form of heat which is absorbed by the environment
- If two objects are to be accelerated to the same velocity in the same time, the required force depends on their ____.
- term for the energy an object acquires when it is exposed to a force
a system where the motions of individual bodies are governed solely by a
conservative force, the total kinetic and potential energy of the
system is _____.
- term for an internal restorative force
- True or False: Inertia conserves velocity in a system of objects.
- law which states that when the net force acting on a system is zero, the momentum of the whole system remains constant
- term for a collision in which energy of motion may be transferred from one object to another, but remains energy of motion
- _______ work is done when a force is applied in the direction of motion.
- As a ball is thrown up into the air, its ____ energy is converted to ____ energy.
- _______ work is done when a force is applied in the direction opposite to motion.
- A negative sign indicates that the force is ____ to motion.