19 Multiple choice questions
- defines something by providing several concrete examples of it
statement; general statement which is not detailed; quality of being
general; greater part; most. Ex. War on Terror. What is terrorism?
- that can be understood in more than one way.
calculated use of violence (or threat of violence) against civilians in
order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in
- Also known as persuasive. Definitions intended to persuade and manipulate.
- The incorrect belief that what is true for the individual, or part, must necessarily be true for the group, or whole.
- When the structure or grammar of a sentence renders the meaning of a word or phrase uncertain.
"Mary saw the man with the telescope"; Ambiguity in sentences and phrases.
- defining the topic by comparing it to something with which it is synonymous
- assuming that what is true of the whole is automatically true of the part
- Definition that serves to give a special meaning in a give context.
'desktop' for computer
- unclearness by virtue of having more than one meaning
of clarity that results from an unclear indication about the noun to
which a pronoun refers. Ex. The teacher gave the student her notes.
(Does the pronoun her refer to the noun teacher or the noun student?)
kind of semantic ambiguity in which it is unclear whether a claim
refers to a group of things taken individually or collectively. Ex.
"hundreds of people have stayed in this hotel room" (100 ppl at a time
or indiv's over time?)
- Is the type of definition whose purpose is to tell us what a word means.
that results from the mutiple meanings of particular words. Ex: On my
way to the bank, to cash my paycheck, I passed by the park and saw the
most colorful ducks swimming by the bank of the river.
- not clearly understood. For ex. The concept of functionally literate.
to reduce vagueness or generality or to eliminate vagueness. For
example: "In this case dollars will only refer to Canadian dollars"
Unless otherwise stipulated
- Specifying the features that a thing must possess in order for the term being defined to apply to it.
- state or condition of being unclear, indefinite, or indistinct