32 Multiple choice questions
- The _____ is the whitish, half-moon shape at the base of the nail.
- The _____ is the area where the nail plate cells are formed.
- What is the portion of the living skin on which the nail plate sits?
- Unlike healthy hair, healthy nails are not ____ periodically
- The appearance of the nails can reflect the general health of the _____.
- "lateral nail fold" ; the fold of skin overlapping the side of the nail.
- A normal, healthy nail is ______.
- Cuticle moisturizers, softeners, and conditioners are NOT designed to treat the ______.
- What is the thin layer of tissue between the nail plate and the nail bed that attaches the two?
- The _____ is the fold of skin overlapping the side of the nail.
- The finger nail on the ______ typically grows slowest.
- How long does it take for toenails to be fully replaced?
- What is tissue that adheres directly to the natural nail plate but which can be easily removed with gentle scraping?
- The natural nail is an appendage of the _____.
- What is the dead, colorless tissue attached to the natural nail plate?
- What is the slightly thickened layer of skin that lies between the fingertip and free edge of the natural nail plate?
- Portion of the living skin that supports the nail plate as it grows toward the free edge.
an injury, infection, or disease, the natural nail will return to its
healthy growth as long as the _____ is healthy and undamaged.
- Slits or furrows on the sides of the sidewall.
- Toenails are thicker and harder than fingernails because the ______ of the toenail is longer than that of the fingernail.
- "onyx" ; the hard protective plate is composed mainly of keratin, the same fibrous protein found in skin and hair.
of several major parts of the fingernail including the nail plate, nail
bed, matrix, cuticle, eponychium, hyponychium, specialized ligaments,
and nail fold.
- A _______ is a tough band of fibrous tissue that connects the bones or holds an organ in place.
- The ______ is relatively porous and will allow water to pass through.
- How long does replacement of the natural fingernail usually take?
- What is the part of the nail plate that extends over the tip of the finger or toe?
keratin plate that sits on and covers the natural nail bed. It is the
most visible and functional part of the natural nail unit.
- Folds of normal skin that surround the natural nail plate.
- What 3 things does the matrix contain?
- Cosmetologists are allowed to ______ the eponychium.
- The nail has a water content between _______.
- What is the living skin at the base of the natural nail plate that covers the matrix area?