55 Multiple choice questions
- Massage movement involving rapid tapping or striking motions of the hands against the skin.
- A combination of clear polish and protein, such as collagen
reusable implement, made of stainless steel; it should not be used to
push back the eponychium but can be used to gently scrape cuticle tissue
from the natural nail plate.
- What is NOT kept in a supply tray?
- Oils extracted using various forms of distillation from the seeds, bark, roots, leaves, wood, and/or resin of plants.
- The best terry cloth towels for use in a personal service are _____.
- Commonly added to products such as body lotion and masks.
- Sets of all the tools that will be used in a service.
implements"; implements that are generally stainless steel because they
must be properly cleaned and disinfected between clients.
wooden stick used to remove cuticle tissue from the nail plate, to
clean under the free edge of the nail, or to apply products.
- A stainless-steel implement used to carefully trim away dead skin around the nails.
shape suited to thin hands with long fingers and narrow nail beds. The
nail is tapered and longer than usual to emphasize and enhance the
slender appearance of the hand.
- A standard manicuring table is usually _______ wide.
- Disinfection containers must have _____.
- Nail conditioners are primarily used to _______.
- A petroleum by-product that has excellent sealing properties to hold moisture in the skin.
- Nail products should be removed from their containers using a _______.
- A nail shape completely straight across the free edge with no rounding at the outside edges.
- A reusable implement used to shorten the nail plate quickly and efficiently.
- The round nail _______________.
- A service cushion must be _________.
- Designed to seal the surface of the skin.
- When applying an iridescent or frosted polish, you must use strokes that are _________.
- "single-use implements"; implements that cannot be reused and must be thrown away after a single use.
- a petroleum by-product that holds moisture in the skin
- 180 to 240 grit abrasives that are used to smooth and refine surfaces and shorten natural nails.
- Barrier products that contain ingredients designed to seal the surface and hold subdermal moisture in the skin.
- A manicuring table lamp should use a _____ incandescent bulb or a fluorescent bulb.
hardener that adds cross-links to the natural nail plate. Unlike
hardeners containing formaldehyde, DMU does not cause adverse skin
- A nail shape with a square free edge that is rounded off at the corner edges.
- Product designed to loosen and dissolve dead tissue from the nail plate.
- The act of causing tiny unseen openings in the skin that can allow entry by pathogenic microbes.
- Soap is known to remove _____ of pathogenic microbes from the hands, when hand washing is performed properly.
- It takes approximately ______ to properly clean and disinfect implements after each use.
- The list of services that you are legally allowed to perform in your specialty in your state.
movement involving a succession of strokes in which the hands glide
over an area of the body with varying degrees of pressure or contact.
- Success in nail polish application is achieved by using four coats including _________.
conservative nail shape that is thought to be attractive on most
women's hands. It is similar to a squoval nail with even more rounded
- The _______ nail has a square free edge that is rounded off at the corner edges.
- The wooden pusher is NOT used to ________.
- A spa manicure requires extensive knowledge of _______.
- Age spots caused by UV radiation.
- 240 grit and higher abrasives designed for buffing, polishing, and removing very fine scratches.
- Tools used to perform nail services. They can be reusable or disposable.
- If a single client is going to have both a manicure and a pedicure, how many pairs of gloves will the cosmetologist need?
- Rubbing a file across the sharp edge of another file to prepare it for use.
- The _____ nail is a conservative shape that is thought to be attractive on most women's hands.
- Method of massage incorporating various strokes that manipulate or press one layer of tissue over another.
- Nail hardeners can be applied ______.
- Products designed to absorb into the nail plate to increase flexibility and into the surrounding skin to soften.
- Reusing implements without properly cleaning and disinfecting them is against the law in _____.
- Fine-grit abrasives are designed for removing very fine scratches and _______.
- Boards and buffers less than 180 grit that quickly reduce the thickness of any surface.
- A slightly tapered nail shape; it usually extends just a bit past the fingertip.
- Compared to non-acetone removers, acetone removers ________.