87 Multiple choice questions
- Point on the skin over the muscle where pressure or stimulation will cause contraction of that muscle.
- A ______ is a highly concentrated skin product applied under a moisturizer or sunscreen.
or mechanical manipulation of the body by rubbing, gently pinching,
kneading, tapping, and other movements to increase metabolism and
circulation, promote absorption, and relieve pain
- Deep rubbing movement requiring pressure on the skin with the fingers or palm while moving them over an underlying structure.
- "percussion"; movements consisting of short quick tapping, slapping, and hacking movements
- Distended capillaries caused by weakening of the capillary walls
- An _______ is an applicator for directing the electric current from the galvanic machine to the client's skin.
- Follicle opening
- Needing movement performed by lifting, squeezing, and pressing the tissue with a light, firm pressure.
- A rotating electric appliance with interchangeable brushes that can be attached to the rotating head.
products that generally contain higher concentrations of ingredients
designed to penetrate and treat various skin conditions
- facial masks containing special crystals of gypsum, a plaster-like ingredient.
- Compared to day-use products, night treatments are usually _________.
- What is the opening of a follicle called?
- Red pimples that do not have a pus head are referred to as _______.
cleansing masks that have an exfoliating effect and an astringent
effect on oily and combination skin, making large pores temporarily
- When performing petrissage _________.
- Sun-damaged skin is often confused with _______.
treatment products often composed of mineral clays, moisturizing
agents, skin softeners, aromatherapy oils, and other beneficial
ingredients to cleanse, exfoliate, tighten, tone, hydrate, and nourish
- What is the most stimulating form of massage?
- Form of petrissage in which the tissue is grasped, gently lifted, and spread out; used mainly for massaging the arms.
- Light, continuous stroking movement applied with the fingers or the palms in a slow, rhythmic manner.
- One of the biggest benefits of massage is that it _______.
movement in which the hands, placed a little distance apart on both
sides of the client's arm or leg, working downward apply a twisting
motion against the bones in the opposite direction.
movement accomplished by grasping the flesh firmly in one hand and
moving the hand up and down along the bone while the other hand keeps
the arm or leg in a steady position.
AHA exfoliants should never be used unless the client has been using 10
percent AHA products at home for ______ prior to the higher
concentration salon treatment, and using a daily facial sunscreen
- An ______ is an individual dose of serum contained in a small vial.
- Massage movement in which the tissues are pressed and twisted using a fast back-and-forth movement
- "roll-off masks"; peeling creams that are rubbed off the skin.
- Specially prepared facial masks containing paraffin and other beneficial ingredients; typically used with treatment cream.
- Cosmetology professionals are only allowed to use products that remove surface dead cells from the ________.
- "lack of lipids"; skin that does not produce enough sebum indicated by absence of visible pores.
- The use of electrical currents to treat the skin.
type of massage involves grasping the flesh firmly in one hand and
moving the hand up and down along the bone while the other hand keeps
the arm or leg in a steady position?
- Masks often containing oils and emollients as well as humectants; have a strong moisturizing effect.
- Chronic hereditary disorder indicated by constant or frequent facial blushing.
- Lubricants used to make the skin slippery during massage
- The therapeutic use of plant aromas for beauty and health treatment.
- Oil or fatty ingredients that prevent moisture from leaving the skin.
- A facial machine that heats and produces a stream that can be focused on the client's face or other areas of skin.
- The thin, open-meshed, woven cotton fabric used in a paraffin mask application.
- A condition characterized by distended or dilated surface blood vessels.
- Oily skin or skin that produces too much sebum may appear shiny or greasy and have ________.
- Methods used to physically remove dead cell buildup.
- Products that help increase the moisture content of the skin surface.
- A form of petrissage in which the tissue is grasped, gently lifted, and spread out.
- Proper exfoliation will _______.
- A specialty product designed to facilitate change in the skin's appearance
- Hacking is performed with which part of the hands?
- a type of chemical exfoliant that works by dissolving keratin protein in the surface cells of the skin.
- Skin that has small pores and may be flaky or dry with fine lines and wrinkles is characterized as _______.
- Skin condition caused by sun exposure or hormone imbalances resulting in dark blotches of color in areas of the skin.
_______ is a follicle impacted with solidified sebum and dead cell
buildup that appears as small bumps just underneath the skin's surface.
- Electrical treatments should NOT be performed on clients with _________.
- Condition that requires avoiding certain treatments, procedures, or products to prevent undesirable side effects.
- Cleansers containing surfactants which cause the product to foam and rinse off easily.
- Gentle chemical exfoliation acid that helps dissolve the bonds and intercellular cement between cells.
- If you use harsh scrubs on sensitive skin, it can _______.
- Chopping movement performed with the edges of the hands in massage.
- In massage, the rapid shaking of the body part while the balls of the fingertips are pressed firmly on the point of application.
- When using a brushing machine to perform an exfoliation, the skin should be treated with a __________.
- Methods used to physically remove dead cell buildup
- When removing a cleanser from the eye area, it should be done with damp facial sponges or cotton pads _______
- "fresheners or astringents"; lotions that help rebalance the pH and remove remnants of cleanser from the skin.
- scrubs that contain aluminum oxide crystals.
- Products that help bring about exfoliation.
exfoliation that involves shooting aluminum oxide or other crystals at
the skin with a hand-held device that exfoliates dead cells.
a follicle becomes clogged, resulting in an infection of the follicle,
it is caused by a type of acne bacteria called ________.
performing a skin analysis with a magnifying lamp, the first thing the
technician should look for is the presence or absence of _______.
- The removal of excess dead cells from the skin surface.
- Which type of mask contains special crystals of gypsum?
- Clay-based masks ______.
- "blackheads"; follicles impacted with solidified sebum and dead cell buildup.
- A type of chemical exfoliant that works by dissolving keratin proteins in the surface cells of the skin?
- Ingredients that attract water are known as _______.
- Water-soluble products are penetrated into the skin using galvanic current and a process called _______
- Products that contain chemicals that either loosen or dissolve dead cell buildup.
- "hydrators or water binding agents"; ingredients that attract water.
- An _______ is a follicle impacted with solidified sebum and dead cell buildup.
- Individual doses of serum, sealed in small vials.
- Cosmetologist should NOT wear which type of jewelry while administering a facial treatment?
- Lotions that help rebalance the pH and remove remnants of cleanser from the skin are called ______.
- Alginate masks are often _______-based
- Modelage masks _______.
- Non-foaming lotion cleansers designed to cleanse dry and sensitive skin types and to remove makeup
- The process of softening and emulsifying hardened sebum stuck in the follicles.
- Moisturizers for oily skin are most often in ________ form.