103 Multiple choice questions
- Wrapping can be done on ______.
- To smooth hair that is backcombed, the teeth of the comb or brush should be held at a _____ pointing away from you.
- Full- base curls provide a ____ curl.
- "stand-up curls"; pin curls fastened to the head in a standing position to allow the hair to flow upward and then downward.
- Used to give a finished appearance to hair ends either turned under or over.
- The clamp that presses the hair against the barrel or rod of a thermal iron.
- "sculptured curls"; pin curls sliced from a shaping and formed without lifting the hair from the head.
- Styling products that add volume, especially at the base, when wet hair is blown dry.
- Finger waving was very popular during the _____.
- Which type of curls have large center openings and are fastened to the head in a standing position on a rectangular base?
- In creating horizontal finger waves, the waves are placed _____.
- Pin curls placed immediately behind or below a ridge to form a wave are called ______.
- The first step in the hairstyling process should always be a _____.
- What is usually recommended at the side front hairline for a smooth, upsweep effect?
- Nonelectrical thermal irons are commonly favored by stylists who cater to clients with _____ hair.
- Which type of curls are also known as stand-up curls?
technique used to build a soft cushion or to mesh two or more curl
patterns together for a uniform and smooth comb out.
- What can you NOT use thermal irons on?
- The point where curls of opposite directions meet, forming a recessed area.
- Curl placed half off the base; permits medium movement and gives good control to the hair.
- Curl placed completely off the base; allows for the greatest mobility.
- "full base"; position of a curl or roller directly on its base for maximum volume.
- When using rollers, one and a half turns will create _____.
of pressing the hair to remove 50 to 60 percent of the curl by applying
the thermal pressing comb once on each side of the hair.
type of curls are suitable for curly hairstyles without much volume and
lift, can be used on any part of the head, and will comb out with
- A benefit of using _____ is that it offers firmer, longer hold for fine hair with the least amount of heaviness.
- Pin curls placed immediately behind or below a ridge to form a wave.
- Clients are most likely to request a pleat for ______.
- "mousse"; a light, airy, whipped styling product that resembles shaving foam and builds moderate body and volume into the hair.
- Implements made of quality steel that are used to curl dry hair.
- Section of the hair that is molded in a circular movement in preparation for the formation of curls.
- How long do velcro rollers need to stay in the hair?
- A technique used to keep curly hair smooth and straight.
- Two rows of ridge curls, usually on the side of the head.
- Method of curling the hair by winding a strand around the rod.
- Coarse, extremely curly hair requires ______ to process.
- Pin curls with large center openings, fastened to the head in a standing position on a rectangular base.
- Applying a thermal pressing comb through the hair twice on each side to remove curl is a _____.
- Which type of styling product is also known as wax?
- A _____ is generally an oval brush with a mixture of boar and nylon bristles.
or nonmoving, foundation of a pin curl (the area closest to the scalp);
the panel of hair on which a roller is placed.
- A _____ is a half-round, rubber-based brush.
- Process of shaping and directing the hair into an S pattern through the use of the fingers, combs, and waving lotion
- Technique of drying and styling damp hair in a single operation.
involves combing small sections of hair from the ends toward the scalp,
causing shorter hair to mat at the scalp, forming a cushion or base?
- Who can diagnose scalp skin disease?
- Thermal waving is also known as _____.
styling products that are lighter and less viscous than firm hold gels,
used for easy styling, defining, and molding.
- Pin curl bases are referred to as rectangular, triangular, square, or ______.
product applied to damp hair that is wavy, curly, or extremely curly
and then blown dry; relaxes the hair for a smooth, straight look.
- Thermal curls that sit in the center of their base; strong curls with full volume.
- Blowdryer attachment that causes the air to flow more softly and helps to accentuate or keep textural definition.
- When executing an undo, always inspect the shape you are building from every angle to ensure that it is _______.
- When tempering a new pressing comb, you should NOT ______.
- Type of hair gel that makes the hair pliable enough to keep it in place during the finger-waving procedure.
that removes 60 to 75 percent of the curl by applying a thermal
pressing comb once on each side of the hair, using slightly more
pressure than in the soft press
- A hood dryer is recommended if you want ______.
- Round, solid prong of a thermal iron.
- Curl placed directly on its base; produces a tight, firm, long-lasting curl and allows minimum mobility
styling products that add considerable weight to the hair by causing
strands to join together, showing separation in the hair.
- Thickened styling preperation that comes in a tube or bottle and creates a strong hold.
of the pin curl between the base and first arc of the circle that gives
the curl its direction and movement; the hair between the scalp and the
first turn of the roller.
- Hairstyle in which the hair is arranged up and off the shoulders.
- A technique used for formal hairstyling that creates a look of conical shape.
- Pin curls that produce even, smooth waves and uniform curls.
- A process used to condition a new brass pressing comb so that it heats evenly.
- Technique of forcing the hair between the thumb and the back of the comb to create tension.
- Pin curls formed in a shaping should begin at the ______.
- Thermal curls placed half off their base; strong curls with moderate lift or volume.
remove dirt, oils, and product residue from the barrel of a thermal
iron, use a dampened towel with a soapy solution containing a few drops
- End curls can be used to give a finished appearance to the ends of _____ hair.
- Which roller position is recommended for the least volume?
- Pin curls that produce tight, firm, long-lasting curls and allow for minimum mobility are known as _____.
- Hot rollers are to be used on ______.
- Arc-base pin curls are also known as ______.
- The part of the pin curl that forms a complete circle; also, the hair that is wrapped around the roller.
- A _____ is a brush used to speed up the blowdrying process.
- Technique that removes 100 percent of the curl by applying the pressing comb twice on each side of the hair.
type of curls are usually recommended along the front or facial
hairline to prevent breaks or splits in the finished hairstyle?
- Which roller position is recommended for full volume?
- Which part of a roller curl is also known as the circle?
- What is the best way to practice manipulative techniques with thermal irons?
- Where are skip waves typically found?
- Pin curls that produce waves that get smaller toward the end.
spray"; a styling product applied in the form of a mist to hold a style
in position; available in a variety of holding strengths.
- "chignon"; a technique used for formal hairstyling that creates the look of a knot or bun.
ratting, matting, or french lacing" ; combing small sections of hair
from the ends toward the scalp, causing shorter hair to mat at the scalp
and form a cushion or base.
- Thermal curls placed very high on their base; provide maximum lift or volume.
- The position of a curl or a roller completely off its base for maximum mobility and minimum volume.
- What is used to build a soft cushion or to mesh two or more curl patterns together for a uniform and smooth comb out?
- The technique of drying and styling damp hair in one operation is called ______.
waving"; methods of waving and curling straight or pressed dry hair
using thermal irons and special manipulative curling techniques
- Method of temporarily straightening extremely curly or unruly hair by means of a heated iron or comb.
- Nozzle attachment of a blowdryer; directs the air stream to any section of the hair more intensely.
- Position of a curl or a roller that sits halfway on its base and halfway behind the base, giving medium volume and movement.
- A tight scalp can be made more flexible with hair brushing and the systematic use of _____.
- When you use a comb with teeth spaced closely together, it ________.
- After heating the iron to the desired temperature, you test it on ______.
- A _____ is a thin, nylon styling brush that has a tail for sectioning, along with a narrow row of bristles.
- "classic french twist"; a technique used for formal hairstyling that creates a look of folded hair.
- "circle"; the hair that is wrapped around the roller.
- Velcro rollers can be used _____.
- Technique of passing a hot curling iron through the hair before performing a hard press.