263 Multiple choice questions
- Sexual Harrassment
- Something that influences him/her to behave in a certain way in regard to that person or thing.
unauthorized departure from custody or failure to return to custody
following temporary leave for a specific purpose or limited period or
leave that is part of an intermittent sentence.
- - to safely escort a pitentially uncooperative subject within the facility
- the officer takes up a position to the side and slightly to the rear of the subject
- - Care shall be taken that hot foods are served reasonably warm and that cold foods are served reasonably cold.
- - This approval and review shall be documented and should be approved by a licensed or provisional licnesed dietician
- 1.) Right to have adequate medical care.
- Shall be available for inmates' use within the processing area.
- 1. Equal protection of the law (Discrimination)
- - The importance of segregating "special" inmates from general population during recreational activities.
- - Inmates confined longer than ten days shakl be allowed access to sunlight no less than one hour weekly
- TCLEOSE established on Sept. 1, 1965
- A. National statistics
1. Suicide is the third leading cause of death in U.S. jails, behind natural causes and AIDS.
can detain for 4 hours, magistrate can detain for additional 24 hours,
not to exceed 48 hours. (CCP 17.29) (Code Criminal Procedures)
general, street gangs are not as wrll organized ad the prison gangs,
and may provide a greater threat to the jail system than to the state
group of inmates that pose a threat to the physical safety of other
inmates or staff by virtue of the group's nature and activities.
- See that the inmate gets proper "professional" care.
Immediately after booking, but in no case later than four hours after
arrival, a person shall be permitted to make at least two completed
- All inmate personal clothing shall be cleaned, or sprayed with a disinfectant and stored.
- a. Accurate
g. Grammatically correct
h. Correctly spelled
sheriff keep safely a person committed to his custody. He shall use no
cruel or unusual means to secure this end, but shall adopt all necessary
measures to prvent the escape of a prisoner.
a formal process for separating and managing inmates and administering
facilities based upon agency mission, classification goals, agency
resources, and inmate program needs.
- 1. Indictments (charge) / No Bill (Not a Charge)
3. Declines of prosecution
5. Acquittals - Not Guilty
7. New charges
8. Bond Information ( amount, any special requirements)
9. Report as to prisoner's status. ( Code Criminal Procedure)
- - Maintain a Sign-out log for "dangerous tools" by name
- 1. Protection from double jeopardy
2. Protection from self - incrimination
3. Without due process
- -Any time a violent cell is entered
- Any time an inmate who has a history of violence is handled
- Some other person specially named
- a. The defense counsel will begin the questioning after the prosecution has finished with the witness.
- Under arrest by a peace officer or under restraint by a public servant pursuant to an order of a court
- Indirect legal responsibility
Each facility having a capacity of 100 or more inmates, or housing
inmates transferred from a facility with a capacity of at least 100 beds
or housing inmates from another state, shall develop and implement a
plan for tuberculosis screening tests of employees, volunteers, and
Each facility shall have and implement a written plan, approved by the
Commission, for inmate physical exercise and physical recreation
- Each inmate shall be allowed one hour of supervised physical exercise or physical recreation at least three days per week
Indicate frequency of visitation periods; each inmate shall be allowed a
minimum of two visitation periods per week of at leadt 20 mins.
- Provide that at least one visitation period be allowed during evenings or weekends
- Members of an ethnic group usually have common ancestry and generally share language, religion, and other cultural patterns.
- -Indigent inmates shall be furnished paper, pencils, envelopes and stamps, if requested.
- -Contraband is considered to be any item,material, or substance that is prohibited by law or agency directives.
- A power, interest, or demand inherent in one person or established by law for protection and benefit of a person.
- - The majority of inmate complaints can be resolved by an individual staff member
- The sheriff designee shall appoint a grievance board composed of individuals (staff and/or civilian) who shall make an inpartial and objective determination based upon the evidence presented
- - Inmates identified as those usually confined for felony offenses, who possess a moderate level of criminal sophistication.
- Officers are NOT to discuss the case with other witness and / or jurors
Violations of rules and regulations that constitute serious offenses
against persons and property and pose a serious threat to institutional
order and safety.
- The purchase of hygiene itmes and sundries.
- Provide for yearly audits by the county auditor in accordance with the Local Government Code.
- The audits shall be submitted to the commission not later than ten days following completion.
- - A person who, because of good conduct, is given some measure of freedom in and around the prison or jail.
- (A) Drivers License
(B) Run Computerized History (CCH)
(C) Contact local agency for mug shot
(D) Contact supervisor
- - For security and safety
-Individual personal preferences
- 2.) Classification criteria shall not include race, ethnicity or religious preference;
- -The strip search shall be conducted by jailer(s) of the same gender in a reasonable and dignified manner and place.
- A. Locate source of contraband
B. Possible breaches of security
C. For disciplinary or administrative action
- (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly restrains another person.
(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense
(2) a felony of the third degree if: (A) the actor recklessly exposes the victim to a substantial risk of serious bodily injury;
- A writ issued by Court or Clerk.
- a.) Money should be handled by jail staff only.
b.) Receipts and expenditures of inmate accounts.
the CD4 cell (a kind of white blood cell that fights infection) is
depleted below 200 cells per cubic millimeter of blood (i.e about one
drop) on testing, then a patient is diagnosed as having AIDS.
- - Excessive perspiration causes the inked impressions to be indistinct.
- It is also suggested that the fingers be wiped with alcohol.
- If an injury is temporary, the prints should be taken after it heals, not before (if possible)
considered to be any item, material, or substance that is prohibited by
law or agency directives.This may include any item that was issued or
purchased in the commissary that has been altered or is no longer used
for its original purpose.
- - Inmates should not be required to work more than 48 hours per week, except in an emergency
- 6.) Female inmates shall be separated by sight and sound from male inmates.
initial phase of the trial during which the prosecution presents the
evidence demonstrating the guilt of the defendant is usually when the
officer is first called to testify.
- If the contraband is prohibited by agency rules and regulations it will be documented administratively.
- -Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of the two.
- Is manifested before a person attains the age of twenty-two with the exception of Mental retardation which is 18 years of age.
- The most common organic mental disorder of older people is Alzheimer's disease.
- Contact county and/ or district attorney/clerk offices for verification or clarification.
- Access to courts and legal services
inmate supervision management style in which jailer(s) are stationed
inside a housing unit 24 hours per day. ( Requires more staff training).
- A body condition that may occur when a person faces a threatening or unfamiliar situation
- The single most common factor in suicidal behavior or death by suicide is that the individual is experiencing depression
- A nonspecific or generalized response to a variety of environmental stressors.
report form that documents an agency's authority to retain a person in
custody pending a fulfillment of a legal obligation or transfer to
- Dates and identification numbers should correspond with "mug shots" if both are taken.
- Is another type of mental illness demonstrated by disturbances in one's emotional reactions and feelings.
- If the contraband is illegal in and of itself it will be documented as a criminal offense.
- A particular benefit enjoyed by a person beyond the common advantage of other citizens
- Rights given by the constitutions or through amendments
- - Supervision should be by an officer of the same gender.
- 3.) Custody levels and special housing needs shall be assessed to include minimum, medium, and maximum.
- 1. Rights of Inmates
(a) Search of persons
(b) Search of cells
(c) As it relates to privacy
- increased racial tension among inmates and forced inmates to group together along racial lines.
- Tort Liability
1.) Money damages for civil wrong
2.) Negligent, malicious acts done intentionally by jail personnel that result in injury to an inmate
3.) Negligent, malicious acts or omissions acts done intentionally by jail personnel that result in injury to an inmate
- 1.) Intake Screening
2.) Initial Custody Assessment
3.) Custody Reassessment/Review - A custody reassessment shall be conducted within 30 - 90 days, a documented classification review to determine there necessity for a complete reassessment shall be conducted every 30 - 90 days thereafter.
- Request supervisor issue written order
- a. Inking plate
c. Printer's ink (paste type)
receiving officer shall carefully record and store the inmate's
property as it is taken. A receipt signed by the receiving officer and
the inmate shall be maintained in the inmate's file. In the event an
inmate refuses to sign the property receipt, the receiving officer, with
a witness present,shall note the refusal and sign the receipt.
- officers should respond to disciplinary matters in a professional, rather than punitive, manner
- -Post or issue inmate a copy of the rules and regulations in English or Spanish.
-Provide an interpreter, if needed
-Read the rules and regulations to the inmate, if illiterate.
- Is an adverse judgement or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of or examination of the facts.
- Mentally stunning ( a distraction technique)
- 1.) Visually observe inmate clothed.
2.) Ask the inmate to identify his/her gender.
3.) Visually observe the inmate unclothed.
deliberate or repeated sexual based behavior that is not welcome,not
asked for,and not returned or is unwelcome sexual or gender based
- Signs and symptoms of depression (the single best suicide indicator)
jail may have other cleaning solutions that are just as good as a
dilution of 1 part common household bleach to 10 parts water.
- 1. The right to be informed of the accusation
2. The right to counsel
- - Juveniles shall be separated by sight and sound from adults in accordance with the family code.
- A daily record of the number of inmates in the facility. The sheriff/operator shall maintain this record.
- Department rules and regulations
- Shall have a plan
- More Jailers are required to provide increased surveillance.
- - Minimum and maximum custody level inmates shall be housed separately.
- -A civil or private wrong or injury for which a court will provide a remedy in the form of an action for damages.
- 1.) one mattress
2.) one sheet or matress cover:
3.) one towel:
4.) one blanket, or more depending upon climatic conditions.
- Loss of interest of at least two weeks duration.
a. Inactivity - idleness, boredom
b. Position - desire for special privileges, information
c. Status - circumventing the system, build reputation among peers, and making staff look "foolish"
- May act very calm once the decision is made to kill themselves
- A. Disciplinary conviction
B. Changes in legal status; i.e., sentenced, new charge(s), charge(s) dropped, new hold/detainer
C. Special considerations
- an officer's mere position of legal authority initiates inmates' cooperation
- - Count the items in front of the inmate.
- The audits shall be submitted to the commission not later than ten days following completion.
- - Knives
- Ice picks
- Other items
- Provides a convenient group or person to blame when things go wrong in one's personal life or in the community.
An official or employee of a correctional facility commits an offense
if he knowingly permits or facilities the escape of a person in custody.
(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly causes or facilities the escape of one who is in custody pursuant to:
(e) an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(d) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the person in custody:(1) was under arrest for, charged with, or convicted of a felon. (Felony Three)
- Means that the virus can then be transmitted to others through certain behaviors.
- The manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.
- - Bondsmen
- when words do not control and the use of a weapon is not appropriate (or necessary) this should be applied
- - Inmate activities shall not be supervised by other inmates
- Inmates with unsanitary personal habits, such as nose picking, should not be used.
general term that means "inflammation of the liver," applies to a group
of viral disorders commonly known as hepatitis A,B,C,D and E.
- An aggressive act committed by any person, which does not amount to an assault and is necessary to accomplish one's objective.
- 1.) Verbally describe the property in the presence of the inmate and document each inventoried article on the correct form.
- is one that is usually warded off by a healthy immune system.
Only inmates classified as minimum custody should be assigned to work
outside the security perimeter, and should be supervised by jailers
illness that occurs through the transmisson of an infectious agent or
its toxic products from a reservoir to a suscepitble host, either
directly, as from an infected person or animal, or indirectly through an
intermediate plant or animal host, a vector, or the inanimate
An inmate's skipping of one meal or several meals may indicate illnes
and should be investigated and reported to your supervisor
- Records should be made of any unusual occurrences such as the return of uneaten meals or items of food
- Refers to a range of substantial limitations in mental functioning manifest in persons before the age of 18
no "pure" races remain, some prefer to avoid reference to race and
instead discuss group differences under the heading of ethnicity.
- Rights given through passing of laws by legislatures
- - Tip from informant
- Suspicious actions
- Contact visits
- Foreman of a grand jury (bench warrant)
- - Inmates identified as those usually confined for lesser offenses.
- Begins packing and/or gives away belongings
standard screening method for TB is a skin test known a Mantoux, which
is performed by injecting a derivative of tuberculin between layers of
skin, usually in the forearm
Inmates within the facility have access to recreation area; and as a
result, it is an ideal spot for pickup/delivery of contraband, weapons,
etc. to others house in different area
- -Must have "probable cause"
- Violate of the civil rights of person in custody.
- "what for What?" "this for that"
- -an inmate who refuses to comply with any valid commands given to him by an officer
- 1. Rolled - are taken individually
2. In taking the rolled impressions, the side bulb of the finger is placed upon the inking plate.
(a) Care should be exercised so that the bulb of each finger is inked evenly from the tip to below the first joint.
3. Plain impressions - To obtain "plain" impressions, all of the fingers of the right hand should be pressed lightly upon the inking plate, then pressed simultaneously upon the lower right hand corner of the card in the space provided.
Cell searches are necessary to provide for the safety of officers,
civilians, and inmates within the facility and to eliminate contraband.
- 1.) Shut off the water supply so that the inmates cannot wash contraband down sinks and toilet before you enter the cell.
or condition that either substantially inpacts a person's thought,
perception of reality, emotional process, or judgment, or grossly
impairs a person's behavior, as manifested be recent disturbance
- Onset of this may be delayed up to 6 months or longer. Symptoms may include (but not limited to)
- Address the judge, jury, or whoever asks the questions.
threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this
chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or
serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise.
- a. Use a thin even coating of ink
b. The inked surface should be at a height where the inmate's forearm can assume a horizontal position when the fingers are being inked.
c. Use standard 8 " x 8 " fingerprint cards and card holders
- The examination of persons or property with the intention of finding evidence not in plain sight.
1.) Officers will search an inmate thoroughly to prevent the introduction of contraband into the facility.
2.) Officers will search an inmate thoroughly to prevent contraband from being possessed within the facility.
- Checks that are done during the booking procedure.
- - A thorough pat or frisk search shall be conducted on each inmate upon entry into the facility and prior to booking.
Following the cross examination by the defense attorney, the prosecutor
may question the witness to clarify statements or answers given during
the cross - examination.
- Have the inmate clean their hands and fingers with soap and water or a good waterless hand cleaner.
- a) Security
d) Excessive Repetition
e) Revised Priorities
- (A) Prepare the agency ID number on the chest board, including the correct date.
(B) Position the inmate with the chest board attached appropriately for front and side view photos.
(D) Take the photos:
(1) Front view with/without accessories (hat, glasses, wig, etc.)
(2) Side view, left and right, with/without accessories (hat, glasses, wig, etc.)
- - The hand should be rotated from the more difficult to the easy position.
- This requires that the thumbs be rolled toward and the fingers away from the center of the subject's body
- a. Spatula
b. Small rubber roller
c. Curved holder for individual finger block cardstock (post-mortem spoon)
the form be the guide when questioning the inmate. Ex. Ask the
inmate,"Is this your ring?" If he says "no," then ask whom it belongs
- Have more physical barriers and vandal-proof equipment and furnishings than the podular/direct supervision design.
inmate shall be given the opportunity to shower at least every other
day or more often if possible. Inmates on work assignments and those
making court appearances shall be given an opportunity to shower daily.
- - Shortages may cause disturbances
- Prevents special favors by inmates (extra desserts,meat portions)
- Improved through:
a. Professionalism of staff
b. "Firm but fair" conduct
c. Humane treatment
d. Effective communication
e. Problem or situation may be resolved before turning into a major investigation.
- Acting on the basis of prejudice.
TB is spread from person - to - person through the air primarily by
means of airborne droplets, which are produced when persons with TB
cough, sneeze, speak, sing, etc. Infected persons should cover their
mouths at these times.
- a.) Counseling
b.) Verbal or written reprimand
c.) In podular, direct supervision facilities, temporary restriction to cells for period not to exceed twenty - four hours
d.) Loss of privileges for a period not to exceed fifteen days
e.) Disciplinary separation for a periid not to exceed fifteen days
- -Are any person,organization or entity that may be affected by what you do.
- The Texas Commission on Jail Standards shall be notified of all escapes from a facility within 24 hours of the escape.
- - Violation of civil rights
- Criminal act
- Unjust denial or restriction of an inmate privilege
- A prescribed act by facility staff - any act that is prohibited by facility rules and regulations, and that is initiated by facility staff, is a cause for a grievance
- - Ask for inmate by name
- Visually observe inmate for identity
- Check inmate's identification tag
- Compare photographs
- - Attorney
- Bondsman, probation officer, parole officer
- -Name of inmate, including aliases
-date of birth
-date of birth
-date of commitment
-previous criminal record
-record of injuries
-inmate property inventory
-disabilities warranting special accessibility consideration
-UPON INTAKE, AMEDICAL RECORD SHALL BE ESTABLISHED AND SHALL BE KEPT SEPARATE.
- "alter the conditions of the employee's empolyment and and create an abusive work environment."
- always use the least amount of force necessary to control the situation
- Insanity is considered "a diminshed capacity and inability ti tell right from wrong."
- 1. Criminal liability
2. Civil liability
The status of persons confined to a violent cell shall be reassessed
and documented at least every 24 hours for continuance of status;
- - Non-privileged mail may be read and censored
- Privieged mail may be read only with authorization of a search warrant
- A.) Requires that an inmates' classification be reviewed periodically.
B.) A custody reassessment or review is necessary to allow for changes over time in inmates' legal status, disciplinary actions, appeals, or other circumstances. A reassessment is required 30 - 90 days after the initial assessment.( Reassessments are also required following a disciplinary action and upon any change in legal status ( a conviction, new charge, etc.) )
Persons assigned to a detoxification cell shall be transferred to a
housing or holding area as soon as they can properly care for
- - ID card with photo (state ID card)
- - "Child" means a person who is: ten years of age or older and under 17 years of age.
- Juveniles shall be separated by sight and sound from adults in accordance with the.
may identify the inmate as having special medical needs shall be noted
in the inmate's medical record and brought to the attention of health
personnel and /or the supervisor on duty.
- Fugitive from another state
- 5. Ask the question directly: " Are you thinking of killing yourself?"
6. Check out the situation and ask the following:
a. How are you planning to kill yourself?
b. When are you planning to do it?
c. Ask the inmate to remove the means. This allows them to take action for their own safety. Ironically, taking the means away from them as a sho of force can trigger a suicide.
- Recording of certain information relating to the inmate during the admissions process.
- - Officials of the federal, state and local courts
- All federal officials and officers, including the President of the United States
- State officials and officers, including the Governor
- Bona fide news media
- The inmate's attorney(s)
- Rights given by regulatory agencies (both state and federal) - Jail Standards
- 1.) Restore the housing area to a condition comparable to its condition prior to search.
- a. Any item brought into the security perimeter of the facility by anyone should be searched for contraband.
b. Any inmate who leaves the security perimeter.
c. There shall be regular and irregular (random) searches of the entire facility area for contraband, which shall be noted in a permanent facility record.
d. Searches for contraband should be timed so that inmates cannot anticipate them.
- Documentation of physical exercise and physical recreation shall be maintained for Commission review
Inmates shall be classified and housed in the least restrictive housing
available without jeopardizing staff, inmates or the public, utilizing
risk factors which include any or all of the following:
a.) current offense or conviction
b.) offense history;
c.) escape history;
d.) institutional disciplinary history;
e.) prior convictions;
f.) alcohol and/or drug abuse;
g.) stability factors
- You pay or you stay
use of force to prevent the escape of an arrested person from custody
is justifiable when the force could have been employed to effect the
arrest under which the person is in custody.
Inmates who have not been convicted shall not be required to
participate in a work program. All inmates may be required to keep their
immediate living area clean.
- Upon an inmates' admission, a health file shall be initiated through the completion of a departmental medical form.
Mail from correspondents identified above may be opened only in the
presence of the inmate with inspection limited to locating contraband
- Officials shall obtain a search warrant prior to opening and reading the mail of the individual involved
- - In no case shall privileged correspondence be suspened
- If contraband, usually currency, is discovered in the envelope, it shall be confiscated and the inmte advised of the action
- Each facility shall have and imement a written plan, approved by the Commission, for inmate rehabilitation and education
Inmates who require protection or those who require separation to
protect the safety and security of the facility may be housed in
administrative separation. The status of inmates placed in
administrative separation shall be reviewed and documented at least
every 30 days for continuance of status.
- - Receipts and expenditures of inmate accounts
- The sheriff/operator shall maintain a record on each inmate including and receipts and expenditures of inmate accounts.
- The ability to effectively and accurately transfer ideas and information
- Definition of ethics - the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation.
facility shall have and implement a written plan, approved by the
Commission, governing religious practices. The plan shall include the
- B.) Inmates confined in the jail for more than 7 days shall be tested on or before the 7th day after the day of confinement.
separate written record of all incidents that result in physical harm
or serious threat pf physical harm to an employee,visitor, or inmate in a
facility .Such record shall include the names of the persons involved,a
description of the incident, the actions taken, and the date and time
of the occurrence. Such a written record shall be prepared and submitted
to the sheriff/operator within 24 hours of the incident.
of individuals (staff or civilian), who were not involved in the
incident and are able to make an impartial, objective determination
based on the evidence presented.
- - Intermittent-The Linear
-Direct Supervision (podular)
Report any abnormal conditions in the facility to a supervisor (e.g.,
power outages, fires, water, or gas leaks, suicide attempts
- -to loosen grip or hold
- lateral aspect of the arm; below the subject's elbow
sheriff/operator shall develop and implement an objective
classification plan approved by the Commission by January 1, 1997.
- Stress can cause impaired health, burnout, early retirement, and impaired family life.
- 1. At arrest and booking
2. During transportation
3. First 24 hours of confinement
5. Waiting for trial
7. Impending release
9. Darkness (or"lights-out")
10. Decreased staff supervision
- created in 1975
- 4.) Minimum and maximum custody level inmates shall be housed separately.
- When under direct, visual supervision, inmates of different custody levels may simultaneously participate in work and program activities.
Single cells may be utilized for disciplinary or administrative
separation. Inmates in administrative separation shall be provided
access to a day room for at least one hour each day. Inmates in
disciplinary separation shall be provided a shower every other day.
- Inmates held over 48 hours
2.) toothpaste or toothpowder
5.) shaving implements
- A way of thinking and acting based on tradition.Learned behavior passed down from one generation to another.
- - Reports should be written in the order in which the event occurred.
a. Active voice (first person)
b. Passive voice (third person)
- Reports should be written in plain English and should avoid excessive police.
a person is justified in using force against another when and to the
degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful
- The use of force against another is not justified
- In response to verbal provocation alone.
- 1. The right to bail
2. Protection from cruel or unusual punishment
- a. Who?
- Proofread written reports
Inmates identified as those usually confined for serious offenses of
violence, who possess an extensive level of criminal sophistication.
- Personal mail - mail from family members, friends, magazines, newspapers, inmate to inmate, etc.
of rules and regulations that do not represent serious offenses against
persons and do not pose a serious threat to institutional order and
TB is easily transmitted in closed, small airspaces where ventilation
is poor and air is shared for prolonged periods of time.
- a.) Loss of good conduct credit
b.) Loss of privileges for a period not to exceed thirty days
c.) Removal from work details or programs
d.) Disciplinary separation for a period not to exceed thirty days
- allowed inmates to correspond with one another
- The shame of incarceration or over the offense
- -deviation from regular meal schedules, or deprivation of food
- corporal pinishment
-administration of any form of disciplinary action or supervision by inmates
-disciplinary segregation for more than 30 consecutive days (time cannot be stacked.)
-deprivation of clothing or bedding, except that inmates who destroy bedding or clothing may be deprived of such items. This shall be reviewed and documented every 24 hours
-use of a violent cell for disciplinary purposes
-Deprivation of items necessary to maintain an acceptable level of personal hygiene
-Deprivation of correspondence privileges when the offense is unrelated to a violation of the jail rules on correspondence. In no case shall correspondence privileges be suspended for officials listed at TCJS
-Deprivation of recreation and exercise privileges
-Refer to department policy
AIDS - the stage in which serious infections begin to develop - may not
appear until 5 - 10 years after fhe onset of HIV infection.
individual has symptoms that lasts for a minimum of 2 days and a
maximum of 4 weeks and occurs within 4 weeks of the traumatic event.
- -Ethics is not something that good people need to worry too much about.
-Idealism is incompatible with realism.
-People concerned about ethics dismiss every pleasure and are just "holier-than-thou."
-The principal focus of ethics is moral problems, as opposed to the formation of habits of good character.
- If other officers are not concerned, then a behavior is acceptable.
officer or employee of a correctional facility is justified in using
force against a person in custody when and to the degree the officer or
employee reasonably believes the force is necessary to maintain the
security of the correctional facility.
- a. The prosecutor elicits facts from the officer
b. Direct testimony to the jury, or to the judge in the absence of a jury, when answering prosecutor's questions
c. In the event that defense counsel objects to a question, remain silent until the court has ruled on the objection
d. The judge will rule on the objection in one of two ways
1) "Sustained" ( the officer may not answer )
2) "Overruled" ( the officer may answer the question )
- A sharp dividing line between "normal" and "abnormal" behavior does not exist.
Inmates who require protection or those who require separation to
protect the safety and security of the facility may be housed in
- Balancing the expenditure book daily.
- -All inmates being released to other custody shall be searched by the releasing agency.
family shall have and implement a written plan,approved by the
commission, governing the availability and use of inmate telephones.
- Person so commited
- - Training of officers assigned to classification ( train for 4 hours)
- 1. Name
2. Date of Birth
- 1. Name
2. Date of Birth
3. Other acceptable identifiers ( SSN, DPS, and FBI numbers.)
- -negligence action in tort.
- 5.) Juveniles shall be separated by sight and sound from adults in accordance with FC 51.12
- Rights given or restored to the individual by the courts
- The prevailing behavioral atmosphere throughout the jail facility; inmate playing "game" with staff.
illness is diagnosed based on behaviors and thinking as evaluated by a
psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed professional counselor, licensed
shall be served three times in any 24-hour period. No more than 14
hours shall pass between meals without supplemental food being served
- Reasonable opportunities to exercise religious beliefs must be afforded.
Grievances will be processed in an expeditious manner, especially if
the possibility of personal injury or other problems (medical,
should not be subjected to strip searches unless the jailer has an
articulable, reasonable, and individualized suspicion to believe that a
person is concealing contraband or weapons.
a.) Current charges (violent or drug related)
b.) Criminal history
c.) Institutional behavior history
d.) Contact with the public
e.) Court ordered detention
f.) Verification of gender
- - Write report detailing how damage occurred (if applicable)
- - Inmate Clothing: Standard facility clothing shall be issued to all inmates held over 48 hours.
- Undergarments, if issued to males, must be issued to females.
- - Only males should pat down males; only females should pat down females
- A. Administrative segregation
B. Disciplinary separation
C. Protective custody
E. Medical or mental health housing
- Access to the media, some visitation, and some telephone use
- 1:48 in a correctional setting
- - Observe activity from a distance
- Exercise caution/awareness as to possible intentional distractions
the building tender system, creating a vacuum of power. Gangs were able
to to step in and take control over other inmates.
facility shall provide for reasonable access, both local and long
distance, between an inmate and his/her attorney, family, and friends.
- 1. Free exercise of religion
2. Freedom of expression
3. Rights to legal access
- B. Texas statistics in county jails and lookups
2. Almost half of jail suicides occurred during the inmates first week of custody.
- Inmates should not be required to work more than 48 hours per week, except in an emergency
inmate who leaves the security perimeter of the facility shall be
thoroughly searched for contraband before reentering the security
"the act of regarding one's culture as the center of the universe, and
hence as the basis for all comparisons with other cultures."
- a. The defense attorney may further question a witness after redirect examination by the prosecutor.
- -A written notice (of at least 24 hours) must be provided to the inmate of the claimed violation or charges against them
- A hearing before a neutral, detached, and impartial hearing body, which shall not include anyone involved in the clamied violation or charges
- A disclosure of the evidence against the person charged is required, although confidential informants may be protected
- -Mail addressed to the following persons or organizations shall not be opened or interfered with