143 Multiple choice questions
establish probable cause for ___, document that the victim was less
than 18 years of age and the suspect did any of the following acts:
• committed aggravated battery upon the victim
• willfully tortured the victim
• maliciously punished the victim
• willfully and unlawfully caged the victim
• knowingly or willfully committed child abuse upon the victim and in so doing caused great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement, or uses a deadly weapon
involves engaging in sexual activity with a person 12 years of age or
older but less than 16 years of age; or encouraging, forcing, or
enticing any person less than 16 years of age to engage in
sadomasochistic abuse, sexual bestiality, prostitution, or any other act
involving sexual activity.
- ___ is harassment communicated through words or images by using email or other electronic forms of communication.
- ___ is any of the following:
• actual or simulated sexual intercourse, deviate sexual intercourse, sexual bestiality, masturbation, or sadomasochistic abuse
• actual lewd exhibition of the genitals
• actual physical contact with a person's clothed or unclothed genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or, if such person is a female, breast, with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of either party
• any act or conduct that constitutes sexual battery or simulates that sexual battery is being or will be committed (Pg. 276)
to National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and
Throwaway Children, the greatest risk group of children are ___ and ___.
- means to have personal charge of or exercise the right of ownership, management, or control over
the thing possessed. Possession may be actual or constructive.
- RICO stands for ___.
- CART stands for ___.
- To establish probable cause for ___, document whether the suspect
• intentionally used or installed an imaging device to secretly view, broadcast, or record the victim for his or her own amusement, entertainment, sexual arousal, gratification, for profit, or for the purpose of degrading or abusing the victim, or
• intentionally permitted the use or installation of an imaging device to secretly view, broadcast, or record the victim for the amusement, entertainment, sexual arousal, gratification, or profit of another or on behalf of another, or
• use of the imaging device was for the
___ is one of the most underreported crimes because the victim may be
embarrassed or may actually have a continuing relationship with the
___ in your judicial district has set guidelines and limits on
interviewing child abuse or sexual abuse victims who are less than 16
years of age.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect transported
into this state an individual who the suspect knows, or should know, is
illegally entering the United States from another country.
- Prohibited computer transmissions of sexual acts live over a computer online service, internet service, or local
bulletin board service are also lewd or lascivious exhibition, if the offender knows, should know, or has reason to believe that a victim in Florida who is less than ___ years of age views the transmission on a computer or
- ___ is the postmortem cooling of the body
is any location providing day or residential care or treatment for
elderly persons or disabled adults. It may include, but is not limited
to, any hospital, training center, state institution, nursing home,
assisted living facility, adult family-care home, adult day care center,
group home, mental health treatment center, or continuing care
- An ___ is a court order, which requires a person to do or avoid doing specific acts.
- means to transfer or deliver something to another person in exchange for money or something of value
or a promise of money or something of value.
is oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual
organ of another or the anal or vaginal penetration of another by any
other object; however, ___ does not include an act done for a bona fide
- ___ is a parent, adult household member, or other person responsible for a child's welfare.
is any sexual act between a person and an animal involving the sex
organ of the one and the mouth, anus, or vagina of the other.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the victim was less
than 18 years of age and the suspect knowingly or willfully:
• inflicted physical or mental injury upon the child victim
• committed an intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or mental injury to the child victim
• actively encouraged another person to commit an act that resulted in or could reasonably have been expected to result in physical or mental injury upon the child victim
- SUID stands for ___.
is a robbery that occurs within the victim's dwelling while the victim
is present and aware that a robbery is taking place. This is often
confused with burglary to an occupied residence or vacant residence,
which differs in that there is no use or threat of violence against the
- ___ means the victim is older than 65 years of age.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect took the
money or property from the person of the victim and in the course of the
taking, the victim was or became aware of the taking.
occurs when a minor who uses a computer or any electronic device, such
as cell phones, to transmit or distribute a nude photograph or video to
another minor regardless of whether the minors consented to the
- ___ involves:
• using or threatening to use physical force against any person
• restraining, isolating, or confining
• using lending or other credit methods as debt bondage
• destroying, concealing, removing, confiscating, withholding, or possessing immigrant or identification documents
• causing financial harm including extortionate extension of credit, loan sharking, or fraudulent employment contracts
• enticing or luring by fraud or deceit
• giving a person a controlled substance so they can be exploited
- SIDS stands for ___.
is the robbing of a person of his or her vehicle by the use of force,
violence, assault, or by putting them in fear during the course of the
the victim was pregnant at the time of the battery and the suspect knew
or should have known the victim was pregnant, this upgrades the battery
charge to ___.
- ___ means the victim saw, heard, or otherwise sensed the act was taking place.
___ is a victim-centered law. It ensures the criminal justice community
views trafficking victims as victims of a crime, even if they are
living in the United States illegally. The law no longer treats them as
aliens, but as victims of a crime with rights. Under federal law,
trafficking victims can be U.S. citizens or legal or illegal immigrants.
violence is violence between individuals who have or have had a
continuing and significant relationship of a romantic or intimate
occurs when the suspect commits an act upon and/or with the victim, in
which the sexual organ of the suspect or victim penetrated or had union
with the anus, vagina, and/or mouth of the victim and/or suspect.
Alternatively, the suspect commits an act upon the victim in which an
object penetrates the anus or vagina of the victim.
establishing probable cause for ___, document that the suspect secretly
observed the victim and committed the alleged act with a lewd,
lascivious, indecent intent. When the suspect was observing the victim,
the victim was in a dwelling, structure, or conveyance in which he or
she had a reasonable expectation of privacy.
___ is any kind of building, either temporary or permanent, that has a
roof over it, including the enclosed space of ground and outbuildings
immediately surrounding it.
- A ___ is any kind of temporary or permanent building or conveyance (such as a car); it can be mobile or immobile.
- is the classification
for a substance, compound, or mixture that has a low potential for abuse and has a currently accepted medical
use, though abuse may lead to physical or psychological dependence.
- MEPIC stands for ___.
occurs when the suspect, without lawful authority, knowingly or
recklessly takes or entices any child less than 18 years of age from the
custody of its parent, guardian, or other lawful custodian. Concealing
or removing minors from the state with full knowledge of a court order
is also interference with custody. The suspect must have knowledge of
the court order or receive notice of the pending proceeding.
occurs when a caregiver deprives a child of, or allows the deprivation
of, necessary food, clothing, shelter, or medical treatment, or allows
the child to live in an environment when such deprivation or environment
causes the child's physical, mental, or emotional health to be
significantly impaired or to be in danger of being significantly
means the victim lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime
residence or has a primary nighttime residence that is either a
supervised publicly or privately operated shelter designed to provide
temporary living accommodations, or a
public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping
accommodation for people.
- An ___ is any person who is not a United States citizen.
- ___ is recklessly acting without reasonable
caution and putting another person at risk of injury or death (or failing to do something with the same consequences).
___ is any mechanical, digital, electronic viewing device; still
camera, camcorder, or motion picture camera; or any other instrument,
equipment, or format capable of recording, storing, or transmitting
visual images of another person.
- ___ provides victims of sexual battery access to crisis-intervention and recovery services, advocacy, and medical intervention.
is a diagnosis that should be given only after all other possible
causes of sudden, unexplained death have been ruled out by a thorough
- means an owner or lessee, or his or her agent, or any law
enforcement officer whose agency has received written authorization from the owner or
lessee, or his or her agent, to communicate an order to depart the property in case of a
threat to public safety or welfare.
is a situation in which the parent or legal custodian of a child or, in
the absence of a parent or legal custodian, the caregiver, while being
able, has made no significant contribution to the child's care and
maintenance or has failed to establish or maintain a substantial and
positive relationship with the child, or both.
- Only a ___ can
make a final determination after the completion of his or her investigation, as to the cause or manner of death.
- ___ behavior favorable toward or empathetic to their captors.
establishing probable cause for ___, document whether the suspect
willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly followed, harassed, or
cyber-stalked the victim.
can be caused by choking, constriction of the chest or abdomen,
strangulation, narrowing of the airways due to an allergic reaction or
some other disorder, inhalation of toxic gases, immersion in water,
wedging or entrapment, or neck compression.
- To establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect:
• intentionally and unlawfully threatened, by either word or act, to do violence to a victim,
• appeared to have the ability to carry out the threat at the time, and
• created in the mind of the victim a well-founded fear that violence was about to take place.
is a threat made with the intent to cause the person, who is the target
of the threat, to fear for his or her safety, the safety of family
members, or that of the individuals closely associated with the victim.
The threat must be to cause bodily injury to or end the life of a
___ is a person 18 years of age or older whose ability to perform the
normal activities of daily living or to provide for his or her own care
or protection is impaired due to a mental, emotional, sensory, long-term
physical, or developmental disability or dysfunction, brain damage, or
the infirmities of aging.
- There are three broad categories of causes of death: ____, ___, and ___.
- ___ is the penetration of the female sex organ by the male sex organ. Ejaculation is not necessary.
- A ___ is any motor vehicle, ship, vessel, railroad car, trailer, aircraft, or sleeping car.
- NCMEC stands for ___.
___ is a child 12 years of age or younger who is alleged to have
committed a violation of sexual battery, prostitution, lewdness,
indecent exposure, abuse of a child, obscenity, or any violation of law
or delinquent act involving juvenile sexual abuse.
- ___ includes false or deceptive offers of employment, marriage, or a better life.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect knowingly,
or in reckless disregard of the facts, engages in, or attempts to engage
in, or benefits
financially by receiving anything of value from participation in a venture that has subjected a person to human trafficking. The victim can be an unauthorized alien or a United States citizen. The suspect uses coercion for labor, services, or commercial sexual activity.
- means the production, preparation, packaging, labeling or relabeling, propagation,
compounding, cultivating, growing, conversion or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or
indirectly. Manufacturing can be by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means
of chemical synthesis. It can also be by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis.
- ___ is physical violence that may include beatings, sexual battery, shootings, or physical confinement.
is any behavior that targets a specific person and causes that person
substantial emotional distress, and serves no legitimate purpose.
is sexual conduct between people not married to each other consisting
of contact between the penis and the anus, the mouth and the penis, or
the mouth and the vulva.
means that a person is temporarily incapable of appraising or
controlling his or her conduct due to the influence of a narcotic,
anesthetic, or intoxicating substance administered to that person
without his or her consent, or due to any other act committed upon that
person without his or her consent.
___ is a foreign national who entered the United States without
inspection at a border crossing or airport, with fraudulent documents,
or legally as a nonimmigrant, but then violated that status and remained
is the process of the local court recognizing and adopting an
out-of-state or county court order to be in effect within the local
jurisdiction through a petition process.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect willfully,
maliciously, and repeatedly, followed, harassed, or cyber-stalked the
victim, and the suspect made a credible threat with the intent to place
the victim in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury.
statewide ___ is a plan to aid local law enforcement in the rescue or
recovery of a missing adult who suffers from irreversible deterioration
of intellectual faculties.
- If the victim of the assault, aggravated assault, battery or aggravated battery is ___ years of age or older, the degree
of the offense will change.
- Most teens on the street are at risk to traffickers who lure them into prostitution and sex
trafficking within ___ hours of leaving home.
- ___ can be any of the following:
• sprain, dislocation, or cartilage damage, bone or skull fracture, brain or spinal cord damage, intracranial hemorrhage, or injury to another internal organ
• asphyxiation, suffocation, or drowning
• injury resulting from the use of a deadly weapon
• burns or scalding, cuts, lacerations, punctures, or bites
• permanent or temporary disfigurement, permanent or temporary loss or
impairment of a body part or function
- ___ addresses the growing number of children who are at risk of sexual exploitation.
- ___ injury is death, permanent or temporary disfigurement, or impairment of any body part.
- ___ occurs when the suspect forcibly, by threat, or secretly
confines, abducts, imprisons, or restrains another person without lawful authority and against his or her will with any purpose other than those referred to in kidnapping.
- ___ is a court order which requires a person to do or refrain from doing specific acts
- ___ is flagellation or torture by or upon a person, or the condition of being fettered, bound, or otherwise physically
restrained, for the purpose of deriving sexual satisfaction from inflicting harm on another or receiving such harm oneself.
is the explicit depiction of sexual conduct, which creates the
appearance of such conduct, and exhibits any uncovered portion of the
breasts, genitals, or buttocks.
___ is a person 18 years of age or older who suffers from a condition
of physical or mental incapacitation due to a developmental disability,
organic brain damage or mental illness, or who has one or more physical
or mental limitations that restrict the person's ability to perform the
normal activities of daily living.
- The ___ provides that neither slavery nor involuntary servitude shall exist on U.S. soil.
the victim of assault or battery the ___ packet, which explains options
for problem resolution or a possible course of action.
- ____ is the sudden and unexpected death of an infant
due to natural or unnatural causes. Unnatural causes can include suffocation (asphyxia), drowning, electrocution, hyperthermia, hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, and homicide. These causes of infant death can be easily overlooked at first; however, they can be explained after a careful and thorough investigation.
- Florida has a reputation as a ___ state with a large population of elderly people.
- ___ is the stiffening of body muscles after death
- ___ means contact.
- There is a statutory limit on the number of interviews that you can conduct with a ___ or a person who is ___.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect actually
and intentionally touched or struck the victim against his or her will
and that the suspect caused the victim great bodily harm, permanent
disability, or permanent disfigurement.
Florida, ___ is the single most under-reported, under-identified, and
severe form of trafficking. Traffickers use promises of love, money, and
glamour to lure runaways into prostitution.
is an offense against the integrity of the United States borders. It is
transportation based, whereas trafficking is exploitation based. It is
typically a short-term "business relationship" and may be a part of a
human trafficking scheme whereas trafficking is a long-term, ongoing
captivity and subjugation of victims.
- A ___ is a child whom a licensed physician reasonably believes to be approximately seven days old or younger.
- TVPRA stands for ___.
occurs when a person intentionally touches in a lewd or lascivious
manner the breasts, genitals, genital area, or buttocks, or the clothing
covering them, of a person less than 16 years of age, or forces or
entices a person less than 16 years of age to touch the offender so.
- When any person dies in Florida by criminal violence, accident, suicide, suddenly in
apparent good health, or through any suspicious or unusual circumstance, law
enforcement must notify the ___.
- DMST stands for ___.
- A ___ is an aggravation of a crime by selecting a victim based on prejudice.
involves unwanted and repeated attention by the suspect towards the
victim, family members, or individuals closely associated with the
- "___" is:
• wrongful, intentional, and without legal justification or excuse;
• established by circumstances from which one could conclude that a reasonable parent would not have engaged in the damaging acts toward the child for any valid reason; and
• when the primary purpose of the acts was to cause the victim unjustifiable pain or injury
___ enforces United States laws, including federal immigration laws and
regulations. They perform computer forensics examinations and
investigates smuggling, trafficking, fraud, money laundering, and
narcotics trafficking cases as well as domestic and international
criminal activities occurring on or facilitated by the internet. They
can, also, determine the true immigration status of victims, witnesses,
and offenders and can aid in the detection of travel and identity
- means the controlled substances is in the hand of or on the suspect, or in a container in
the hand of or on the suspect, or so close as to be within ready reach and is under the control of the suspect.
Mere proximity to a controlled substance is not sufficient to establish possession over the substance when it is
not in a place over which the suspect has control.
occurs when a person intentionally touches a person less than 16 years
of age in a lewd or lascivious manner, or solicits a person less than 16
years of age to commit a lewd or lascivious act.
is consciously doing an act or following a course of conduct the
suspect must have known, or reasonably should have known, was likely to
cause death or great bodily harm.
- ___ violence means two incidences of violence or stalking, committed by the suspect, one of which must
have been within six months of the filing of the petition, and directed against the victim or the victim's
immediate family member.
___ person is a person 60 years of age or older who is suffering from
the infirmities of aging as showed by advanced age or organic brain
damage, or other physical, mental, sensory, or emotional dysfunction, to
the extent the ability of the person to provide adequately for the
person's own care or protection is impaired.
is any willful act or threatened act that results in any physical,
mental, or sexual injury or harm that causes or is likely to cause the
child's physical, mental, or emotional health to be significantly
exists when two participants operate with the same level of power in a
relationship, no control, or coercion by either party.
- ___ is:
• a legal status created by a court, which appoints a person a custodian or guardian, whether an agency or an individual
• the right to have physical custody of the child and the right and duty to protect, nurture, guide, and discipline the child
• the right to provide the child with food, shelter, education, and ordinary medical, dental, psychiatric, and psychological care
___ occurs when a suspect takes property from a person by using force,
violence, or assault. The suspect places the victim in fear, with the
intent to deprive the victim, permanently or temporarily, of his or her
right to the property, appropriating the property of the victim to the
suspect's own use, or to the use of any person not entitled to it. This
is a theft plus violence.
- ___ is electronically transmitting a visual image with the intent that another person views it.
- The ___ is the first person the child told about the abuse.
- When establishing probable cause for ___, document that the suspect:
• intentionally used or installed an imaging device to secretly view, broadcast, or record the victim for his or her own amusement, entertainment, sexual arousal,
gratification, profit, or for the purpose of degrading or abusing the victim,
• intentionally permitted the use or installation of an imaging device to secretly view, broadcast, or record the victim for the amusement, entertainment, sexual
arousal, gratification, or profit of another or on behalf of another, or
• viewed the body of or the undergarments worn by the victim by using an
is more than a failure to use ordinary care for others; it is gross and
flagrant negligence, committed with an utter disregard for the safety
- means two or more suspects may jointly possess an article, exercising control over it. In that
case, each of those suspects is in possession of that article.
- Abuse of a child includes ___ or ___.
- A weapon is a ___ if the suspect uses or threatens to use it in a way likely to cause death or great bodily harm.
a sexual battery, consider the existence of at least two crime scenes;
one is the ___ of the victim and the other is the ___ of the sexual
- means the actual, constructive, or attempted transfer from one person to another of a
controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
- ___ is an offense against a person. It is often a financially based business that exploits cheap labor.
- ___ is the exploitation of authority or the use of bribes, threats of force, or intimidation to gain cooperation or compliance.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect
intentionally touched or struck the victim against his or her will, or
the suspect intentionally caused bodily harm to the victim.
- A ___ moves violence into the realm of physical contact, which is more dangerous to the victim.
- A ___ is any one of the following:
• missing child, younger than 18 years old
• missing adult, younger than 26 years old
• missing adult, older than 26 years and believed to be in danger or the victim of
• missing adult, older than 18 years that meets the criteria for a Silver Alert
- means the controlled substance is in a place over which the suspect has control, or
in which the suspect has concealed it.
- An ___ involves verbal threats without physical contact.
- ___ is any performance or part of the performance, which includes sexual conduct by a child less than 18 years of age.
describes a person suffering from a mental disease or defect that
renders that person temporarily or permanently incapable of appraising
the nature of his or her conduct.
establish probable cause for ___, document that the suspect
intentionally touched or struck the victim against his or her will, or
the suspect intentionally caused bodily harm to the victim. In addition,
document that while committing the act, the suspect intentionally or
knowingly caused great bodily harm, permanent disability, permanent
disfigurement, or used a deadly weapon.
is one of several causes of SUID and is the most common cause of death
in infants aged one month to one year in the United States. SIDS occurs
most commonly in infants two to four months of age and rarely after
eight months of age. It occurs more frequently in African Americans,
American Indians, and Alaska Natives than in Caucasians. It occurs
suddenly and without warning, often during periods of sleep.
occurs when a person intentionally masturbates, exposes the genitals in
a lewd or lascivious manner, or commits any other sexual act that does
not involve actual physical or sexual contact with the victim. This
includes, but is not limited to, sadomasochistic abuse, sexual
bestiality, or the simulation of any act involving sexual activity in
the presence of a victim who is less than 16 years of age. Doing any of
these acts live over a computer online service, internet service, or
local bulletin board service is also lewd or lascivious exhibition, if
the offender knows or should know or has reason to believe the
transmission is viewed on a computer or television monitor by a victim in Florida who is less than 16 years
- is a substance, compound, or mixture
that has a high potential for abuse and has no currently accepted medical use.
someone confines a child who is younger than ___ without the consent of
the parent or guardian, that confinement is against the child's will.
- "___" is knowingly, intentionally, and purposefully.
it does not cause harm to the child, reasonable ___ of a child by a
parent or legal custodian for disciplinary purposes is not abuse.
- ___ violence means any one incident of sexual battery (a lewd or lascivious act committed on or in the
presence of someone younger than16 years of age). This includes luring or enticing a child, sexual performance
by a child, or any other forcible felony where a sexual act is committed or attempted, regardless of whether
the state attorney filed, reduced, or dismissed the criminal charges based on the incident.
is any play, motion picture, photograph, or dance or any other visual
representation exhibited before an audience or just one person.
that the victim was less than 18 years of age to establish probable
cause for ___ without bodily harm. The suspect was a caregiver for the
victim and willfully, or by culpable negligence, failed or omitted to
provide the victim with the care, supervision, and services necessary to
maintain the victim's physical or mental health, or failed to make a
reasonable effort to protect the victim from abuse, neglect, or
exploitation by another person.
injury is an injury to the intellectual or psychological capacity of a
child as evidenced by a discernible and substantial impairment in the
ability to function within the normal range of performance and behavior.
- ___ is the color change due to settling of blood according to gravity
___ is a person entrusted with or who has assumed responsibility for
the care or the property of a disabled adult or elderly person.
means to procure, manufacture, issue, sell, give, provide, lend, mail,
deliver, transfer, transmute, publish, distribute, circulate,
disseminate, present, exhibit, or advertise or to offer or agree to do
occurs if an injunction is in place, the victim was under the age of 16
when the crime occurred, and/or if there are court-ordered
restrictions. These three conditions change the degree of the offense.